Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Winter of Our Discontent

I went out in the cold last evening to see what I could find to bring inside before the freeze took out all blossoms.

I gathered a few Camellia blooms.
These were bitten by the last freeze, tight buds like the one
below will open with little brown patches of cold injury.


This Narcissus was leaning against a bare Crape Myrtle tree
as if to try to find a little shelter. I cut it to bring in. It was 
so cold it had no fragrance.

The cold will last all week. We washed window sills and caulked today. Sunshine streaming in belied the cold outside and the keen wind shifted to blow smoke away from us where pine forests are burning nearby.

5 comments:

  1. Your blooms are pretty, some lovely colors for winter. I just checked our weather and it is 39 right now and feels like 37. I think this is our coldest, although it may get a bit colder yet this morning, it's just 6:59 EST.

    Hope you have a warm, cozy day inside.

    Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cold is very wide-spread. We were 3° this morning! Hope you are all snug and all the little drafts are sealed up tight. I am assuming you do have heat of some sort? I know my SIL is from Honduras and they don't have any kind of a heating system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's that 'feels like' that I hate. When the wind is still I can stand the cold. It's hard to wrap up against wind chill.

    Glenda, we have both electric heat pump and gas furnace -- a heat pump needs help below about 37 degrees. On the news there was a feature yesterday about a man in a nearby town who died in a house fire. They found 4 little electric space heaters around his body. The predicted low last night of 23 turned out to be 31 degrees here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treat to find your blog this morning!

    I can't wait to read more of your posts to get gardening tips.

    I garden in South Texas- Zone 9.

    Enjoyed visiting and I am a new follower.

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure your plants are all a bit shocked at the snow! But it will insulate them from the cold. Smart move to bring in those beautiful blooms before the shriveled up with the freeze.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers