Thursday, February 20, 2014

Camellia Season Picks Up Again

The recent freezes set Camellias back a bit. Open flowers turned brown. Those showing a little color started having brown edges when they opened. We're getting past all that.

Remember last summer when I got the courage to prune
old Camellias into trees? Hardly bothered this one.


After this view, I wanted you to see one far right,  up close.
All I had to do was step up on the 6" carport ledge and 
walk just a little way.... Wait! I clung to a post. 
Old ladies don't have the balance they had at fifty, or 
even sixty. I inched my way along and got it anyway: 




It was hard to find a white that didn't have a line 
of brown from frost damage.

Then I found this.

It was hard to decide what to blog about. Daffodils have burst out all over. Hyacinths in the ground are blooming. And like a proud parent wanting to show you the ultrasound of an anticipated baby, I want you to see the tiny buds down among the Tulip foliage. I guess baby Tulip buds can wait. 

Linking to Fertilizer Friday at Tootsie Time. Tootsie's greenhouse is looking good and she's seeding annuals.

10 comments:

Laura said...

Your camellias are wonderful.
I have never grown those (zone 9).
I wonder if they would survive our high temperatures?

Laura
WSP

Kris Peterson said...

Your Camellias are spectacular. Are they growing in full sun? In southern California, they usually have to get at least afternoon shade or they burn. My only japonica hybrid ('Taylor's Perfection') is also putting on another flush of bloom, having recovered not from cold but from the blast of excessively warm weather we received earlier. Of course, there's more of that on the way...

Alison said...

Oh, that last shot is pretty spectacular. I've been told that we can grow Camellias in full sun here in the PNW. I might try it.

rusty duck said...

That first camellia is a nice shape now. Love them. They grow well in England too, given the right soil.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love your camellias. Just beautiful. I look forward to seeing more of your daffs and hyacinths too.

Happy early spring ~ FlowerLady

Linda/patchwork said...

I love you camellias.
I'd love to grow them here, but we have the wrong type of soil, water, etc.
I guess that's what makes it fun to see gardens in other areas. Every place is different.

Janie Jurkiewicz said...

They look like roses...I was at the museum walking around at how beautiful they were. Especially the pure white ones and the pure red ones. The azaleas are starting to bud. How long do they typically bloom? My guess is a couple of months...

Jean Campbell said...

How long do Azaleas bloom, or Camellias? Camellia japonicas start with Professor Sargeant around Christmas and others join in on their own schedule. Usually my last to bloom is Blood of China, still with tight buds now. Heat will take it out in April.

The full blown Azalea High Season lasts about 3 weeks tops in a good year. There are those that have sporadic early bloom only to get frostbitten, and of course the ones like you have that crank out some blooms almost year around.

Loropetalum became on of my favorites because it has a long season in spring and some rebloom in late summer. I like my shows to last.

gld said...

The camellias are simply gorgeous.

I know what you mean about the balancing issue. I have pitched forward into the garden and flower beds more than once!

Jean Campbell said...

I forgot to answer Kris's question -- we have old Camellias growing in full sun where they've been for 50 years.

When I plant, I plant in high shade, acid soil.

Networked Blogs

Followers