Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Are You a Fan of Daffodils?

I've been a fan of Daffodils since childhood when I picked armloads of blooms to take to school.

Yellow Trumpets are the harbinger of Spring. Years ago,
King Alfred was the rage. Now 'King Alfred type' may be 
Unsurpassable or Dutch Master. The name matters not.

If you are not fond of the bright yellow, Ice Follies is a
nice early blooming Large cup Daffodil and persists well.

I forgot the name of this miniature. 
So sweet in rough grass, early.

For naturalizing, I tuck Jetfire everywhere. 

If not Jetfire, then Tete a Tete, miniatures fit in 
along the edges of beds and among stones.

 There are clumps of different daffodils in this long bed with some just now putting up foliage at the far end. I dead head as they fade. They are in a perennial bed where late spring growth will hide most of the maturing daffodil foliage.
The bed at upper right just visible with clumps of muhly grass has daffodils too.

 

Tahiti is one of my favorite doubles in the muhly grass bed. It has a spicy fragrance and is just beautiful in the garden.

Early Tazetta, Avalanche or Seventeen Sisters, an heirloom. 

First Pink Charm blossom of 2014. 

I keep finding one more to show. I did not show Sweetness jonquilla which lives up to its fragrant name, nor Carlton, which is a large cup yellow that is probably the most sold daffodil and unremarkable. I do not find Carlton to be the prolific naturalizer that it is marketed as, but it does persist.


Daffodil season here usually lasts about 3 weeks after the first scattered blooms until the last to open. The prolonged cold may extend the time this year. 

I'm making notes of clumps with no blooms and those that might be happier elsewhere to dig and replant after the foliage ripens. There are some out-of the way areas where I just let the foliage ripen and no mowing is done until they turn yellow. He-who-mows KNOWS. Others are tucked behind or under perennials, daylilies being a good choice if not allowed to eventually take the daffodil space.

Where do you plant your daffodils and how do you manage ripening foliage?

Joining Tootsie Time for Friday Flaunt Your Flowers


7 comments:

  1. Daffodils are one of my favorite flowers. Their cheery color, cool trumpet and peal shape and fresh spring scent scream happiness. They grew well in Alaska and the area where I live now used to be a major daffodil production area. Alas, there is only one of those farms left but the annual daffodil festival and parade persists. I manage ripening foliage by planting daffs and other bulbs around hostas and other perennials that come up and cover it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Peter. I use Gingers instead of Hostas here. I had not thought about combining Gingers with Daffodils. I think I'll do that! A Muscari seeded itself into my Cardamom; I'll increase those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fan of daffodils also. They are so bright and cheery. I liked the Tahiti. I let the foliage die back naturally. There are always perennials and annuals planted around them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Daffodils too, but don't have anywhere near enough. I like that pink one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daffodils are such a big statement of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought about it before your post, but I do have 6 types in my garden, so I guess I like them without realizing it until now. I leave the foliage, until it starts to brown, then I cut it all back.
    I like Salome - starts out with apricot cups that turn light yellow.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love daffodils! I have several species found in your garden. Tahiti is one of my favorites, too. I wonder how my daffs are faring under the snow and ice that still covers them? P.x

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers