Monday, March 3, 2014

Poll Results and a Look at Tulips

The poll closed. Only 6 readers like lots of text with few pictures, normal for readers looking at Garden Blogs.


Tulip 'Shirley' with Muscari and Alyssum.

Eighteen of 28 like pictures with Captions.

The ideal number is split this way: More than half like LOTS of Photos. One quarter like 2-5, another quarter thinks 7-11 a good number. I guess the best number is to pick out your best and post as many as there are that look good. Three would illustrate a single pot plant while a visit to a nursery or garden show needs as many as turned out well.

'Travel Alongs' to visit other gardens please 72%. I rarely travel, so it's a treat when I can see some famous or just simply stunning local gardens through your eyes.



 
Shirley


Only 31% like Macros. I like macros if they have some farther away views so you see the whole plant and the setting.



Tulips and Muscari that I won from Longfield Gardens.


Landscape views to give an idea of a garden pleases 89%.


Twenty one of us like to see the steps in a project. I usually forget photos until it is almost done. The tulips went in where we ripped out ancient boxwoods and wisteria, then hauled in soil to fill the depression. When I won the Tulips it was an ideal site that required little prep.

Tiny poppy seedlings will be blooming by the time the Tulips and Muscari are done. There are some Daffodils at the back, barely peeking out of the ground. Mama always planted poppies among her Tulips to hide aging foliage. Come summer I'll scatter zinnias or marigolds or melampodium or maybe plant something exotic.




Elsewhere in the garden Blue Delft Hyacinths are in full bloom. These are second year plants. Last year they were forced in pots and then planted out.


1 comment:

  1. Well,I didn't check the amounts or the mix, but I surely liked all these photos!

    I just heard our bulbs will be delayed by three weeks because of the extremely cold winter!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers