Sunday, March 30, 2014

Return of Butterflies Starting with One

Butterfly sightings all this week, one at a time, always when I had no camera. I started carrying a camera. They move so quickly I couldn't capture one or there was a crisis like the Zebra Swallowtail who got in the greenhouse and I had to focus on getting him safely out with a net instead of capturing him in a pic.

Yesterday I was finally at the right place to capture a photo of a Spicebush
Swallowtail  nectaring on George Tabor azaleas. I saw a Tiger but he flew.

They are sheltered from the wind here.

The bed behind Pink Pearl will soon attrect them when the wind dies down
and the rest of the azaleas open.

I could just sit on that little bench and wait but there are so many things needing attention.

They are mostly nectaring on Azaleas and weeds, a good reason to leave
plants like Henbit, Harebells, Toadflax and other nectar plants.
 
If you can't wait to see butterflies, here is a one minute video from July, 2011.
Tigers are back.
 

Right now I'm going outside to watch for more butterflies.

4 comments:

  1. Great post!! And wonderful video.

    I need to plant some tithonia.

    Happy Spring dear Jean ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous woodland scene. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for the return of butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you! I do love that little area with the bench....like the rest of your garden/yard.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers