Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Present State of Daffodils in the Coastal South

Most of the early Daffodils are done. Ehrlicheer was later than usual. Sweetness jonquilla was a reluctant bloomer this year.

Ice Follies was everywhere. Some bloomed 
earlier than others.

Sailboat is still blooming.

Tete a Tete and Jetfire have mostly finished. 

Hawera, the most persistant of the Triandrus daffodils is
just coming into bloom. I've grown Petrel, Ice Wings and 
Thalia in the past. They eventually disappeared. Hawera lasts.

Yet to bloom are Van Sion, some Trumpets that I planted 
late, and Baby Moon which has only thin leaves right now.


The next big show shifts from Yellow to Pink. 
Scattered Azalea Blooms are opening in anticipation.





7 comments:

  1. What a treat to see all of your different daffs! Your azalea is gorgeous too.

    Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to give Hawera a try. So many others that writers claim are good in the south do disappear after a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your daffodil and tulip reports because they will help me when making decisions on selections later. How high is the Hawera daffodil?
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic, so nice to see flowers again, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The daffs are wonderful. I am filing th
    et info on Hawera. Several of my early ones have disappeared too.

    So far, I am disappointed with my latest planting of bulbs. I hope it is just early in the season and more will show later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have so much blooming. I have never tried Hawera. Nothing is blooming here yet because of all the cold and snow, but the weather forecasters promise it is going to stay about average from now on, so hope fully things will start blooming in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hawera usually gets a little taller here than the catalogs indicate. It is supposed to be a miniature, but sometimes reaches about 9 inches tall.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers