Monday, April 28, 2014

Poppy Report

Not the best year for Poppies, -- fewer in number than previous years -- but there were some moments in the Poppy show.








Poppy somniferum were few in number unless you count the ones sown over tulip and daffodil bulbs planted at the end of December. They came up thick, I knew to thin and didn't. The result is puny blossoms. The result was not a very attractive disguise for dying bulb foliage.


Other places plants were few but blooms were great.
I love the shape of poppy pods.

Corn poppies grew tall and lay down on the driveway.
The buds turned themselves upward.

California Poppies Eschscholzia californica can be counted on to carry on a show with the help of a few Corn Poppies. I am a real fan of California Poppies. They seem to make themselves at home in this climate.

Corn Poppies generally have a black center cross, a dark mark on each petal. One in this group is different.

I planted Chartreuse Alternanthera in front of Purple Heart here late this afternoon after the sun went down. Front beds here follow a scheme of Purple, Chartreuse, Yellow and Orange with a few exceptions at the whim of the gardener.

Papaver rhoeas
White cross, paler scarlet orange in color. You can't expect
colors to run true but I'll make this one for seed saving.


I am resolved to make a better Poppy show for next year. Collecting and cleaning Poppy seeds is a fun garden task. Early planting in late fall, better prepared beds, thinning, thinning, thinning. 

Do you have Poppies? 






4 comments:

  1. I wished I would have listened to you when you told me to plant them in November. Perhaps next year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the California poppies are doing better in your garden than they are in mine here in California this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try to remember to remind you this fall, Janie. If you did everything I suggested you would not have time to do anything else, lol.

    Kris, these are several generations removed from California and should be fully acclimatized. They last longer into summer than they used to, anyway. None have become truly perennial but they sure have nice fat roots. I was able to transplant some that seeded themselves in a lawn during winter..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I do have poppies. They seemed late in coming but I have tons and they need to be thinned badly. It is so hard for me to chop out healthy plants even though I know it is for the best! I even mow around the ones in the grass.....silly!

    That single clump of yours against the wall tells me to thin now! It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers