Saturday, May 3, 2014

First Lily, First Daylily in Bloom

This Lily was in a pot, probably dug from a spot I was planting something else. I planted it beside the greenhouse, hoping that it was cream color or white. I have forgotten the name, but remember ordering these lilies some years ago.

LA Lily hybrid

True lilies are easily determined by their stems and leaves. True lilies have a single stem with leaves from top to bottom. They have real bulbs with scales. The blooms are at the top of the stem and last for several days.

Brocaded Gown, my favorite yellow.

Daylilies grow with leaves coming from the ground in a fan-like shape. They have fleshy roots but no bulb. Sometimes they do have storage organs that look kind of like a bulb. Daylily flowers are on a separate stem called a scape. Each scape may have many buds with one or more opening for a day and then fading. I often deadhead mine late in the evening while they are still pretty so I don't have to see 'soggy sock' blooms the next morning.

After I made pics of what I thought was the first Daylily bloom, I discovered faded blooms from yesterday and the day before. This is the first I saw. Many other Daylilies have fat buds. There are three clumps that I remember moving but do not  remember the color, which will be a surprise. I also moved Pandora's Box which had almost ceased blooming where it was under a Dogwood tree. It may still be in too much shade under a Crape Myrtle but I hope morning sun will encourage it.

My plan for plantings around the greenhouse was to have shades of white flowers and shades of green including chartreuse. Right off, my seedling Gerberas turned out half of plants were not white flowers. Now my Lily is not white. I can move it and bring in cream colored Lilies, Or I can enjoy it as it is. So much for my 'Claus Dalby' plan which I thought would look cool in hot summers. I may settle for kewl instead and introduce a little more pastel orange.

The north side of the greenhouse is according to plan with tiny Gardenia cuttings now starting to grow with Kalanchoes in between as temporary space fillers. Immediately Sassafras suckers came up, much to close to the structure to leave.

Long-range plan for the east end is to stop sticking empty plastic pots and other undesirables back there and root white Azaleas that have a long period of bloom and open early in a sheltered spot. The greenhouse will shade them from evening sun but they'll get bright light.


3 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I hide stuff behind my greenhouse too. It must be an epidemic. Unfortunately, given where my greenhouse is, it's hidden from me when I'm working in the garden, or looking at the greenhouse from inside the house, but people walking by on the street can see the ugliness. So, that doesn't work.

    Garden plans always seem to go a little bit awry. I guess it's nature's way of making sure we also have something to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do your daylilies bloom on a consistent schedule? Mine seem to be blooming out of whack this year, with many of those classified as "mid-season" bloomers already flowering while the "early season" varieties and those that have flowered early in other years are lagging. I'm guessing that our current heatwave may be throwing off bloom times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daylilies are never consistent except for a very few very old daylilies that can counted on no matter what. Midseason in whose garden? I always wonder. Reblooming cultivars are sometimes 'all season bloomers,' other years not at all. I think rainfall dictates almost everything that happens. Well water fails to make up for it.

    Alison, where can I hide my irrigation pipe drippers? Ten feet long, they're perfectly hidden behind the greenhouse.

    I started a new Pinterest Board where I move my completed projects that I Pinned an idea. I hope it prods me to finish things so I can move another pin.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers