Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Stick House Revisited

The Stick House has persisted here for 10 years. Storms blow right through it. Safety wire and interlacing of the sticks that form it hold it together.

Flower Lady's Alamo Vine pods form stars against the sky. Tiny Alamo Vines have reseeded along the side. The opposite side supports a Cecile Bruner rose whose tiny sweetheart buds have almost finished blooming.

I am thinking of putting Spanish Moss on bare areas of the Stick House. It may not last -- birds love bits of it for nests, which happened to the last I brought in. Spanish Moss grows within a quarter mile of the house, more lush as you travel toward a creek.

Photos of Alison's Copper Folly reminded me to look at my structure. I looked up Folly -- In architecture, an eccentric, generally nonfunctional (and often deliberately unfinished) structure erected to enhance a romantic landscape.  It may also be applied to any unusual building that is extravagant or whimsical in style. 
In other words, a folly is in the eye of the beholder or created in the imagination of the owner.

 My grape arbor may be a folly, too, constructed of some old porch supports and steel t-posts and supporting 2 Scuppernong grape vines. Sometimes I put old metal porch chairs under there with a table.

A row of blueberries and pears behind the Grape Arbor.

Here's a really broad view to give you a better idea of structure locations. Grape Arbor at far left. Greenhouse barely visible in the center directly in sight between two trees and behind the beige tool shed. You can just see the back corner of the house. Stick House at near right.

Do you have a structure that may be called a folly?


5 comments:

  1. I love your stick house. I've thought about building structures here out of sticks or branches, but in our climate I think they might rot a lot faster than they do in yours. It would be a lot of work for not enough use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sticks must be carefully chosen. The Stick house is made of Juniperus carolinia, commonly called red cedar here, but not the red cedar of the PNW. Oak or cherry sticks will be eaten by termites in a single season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have a Folie de MIIX (built in 2008)when I discovered the word comes via French, house in the woods. I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this. Was this created with your son in mind? My memory may escape me..but you do know how I love spanish moss....I consider it "southern nostalgia.... I love the idea...my moss has stuck around a long time now....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the stick house in mind before our son died. Building it was busy work after he died when I needed something to think about. Since I wrote this post I hung some Spanish moss and need more. The best moss had water standing under it. Later.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers