Thursday, June 12, 2014

Chlorophytum comosum, Asparagus densiflorus Myersii, Begonia sempervirens -- my Fav Containers

I look at dozens of container plantings, searching for those most likely to survive a summer of hot, humid weather without constant watering.

Begonias work for me.



Chlorophytum comosum, Asparagus densiflorus Myersii, Begonia sempervirens

Spider plants and Foxtail ferns are of the Lily family. They have in common storage structures on their roots so that they can go without water for a time. 

Begonias are reputedly not fond of high humidity but mine seem to get along just fine. They look their best with some grooming to remove ugly leaves and spent blooms. 

Separate pots of Cane Begonias are hanging out with the pots of the triad of Foxtail Fern, Spider Plant and Wax Begonia because they fit in well together and have similar water requirements. 

All these are frost tender and have to find indoor homes before frost. Right now that seems a long way off. Last fall the Spider Plants in the urn were killed by frost and I started over this spring with Spider babies. If they'd been in the ground they would have survived, others did. 


When I mention going without water, that does not mean they get along without regular water. It means that they do not faint and fall over without water twice daily like impatiens. If I forget to water, they will probably make it another day without turning into crispy critters before I remember.

What's your favorite combo for containers in shade?

Joining Tootsie Time for Friday's Flower Flaunt.

Just remembered it is almost time for Bloom Day, too. Grab that camera!

6 comments:

  1. I don't have any containers in shade right now, but I should get some going, or at least research it. Maybe next year. I have a long empty wall on the north side of my house where I could stage some shade containers. It's also the spot furthest from the hose, so they would need to be drought-tolerant. Oh, wait. I do have some Bromeliads and Begonias, but they are all in pots all by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that garden bench! Hope your day is blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply gorgeous area under your tree. Love your bench, perfect place for it
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply gorgeous area under your tree. Love your bench, perfect place for it
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great!!!I love begonias and have many. I also love spider plants. My fox tail fern is over 30 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it feels like forever since I had time to sit and enjoy everyone's posts...I am so glad I could drop by today and see your addition to my little party!
    I like to put my banana that I started from a seed in the shade and add some lobelia to the base of the pot. I also don't mind a little bacopa with a geranium or two....if it will grow...and /or bloom, I pretty much love it! lol
    Thank you so much for linking into my little party this week...I appreciate and enjoy every post!
    I hope you will link in again and again!
    Have a great week!

    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    --
    www.tootsietime.com

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers