Sunday, June 15, 2014

Foliage Followup: Some Favorite Purples

I made an effort to get every rooted thing out of the greenhouse this week. 

Two Persian Shield Strobilanthes dyeranus plants had not found homes.


Neither had all these Purple Hearts found a spot in the garden. Do you call Purple Heart Tradescantia pallida or the familiar name Setcreasea pallida? Mama grew it as a house plant.

I loaded up everything and we set out for empty spots to fill.

Setcreasea found places along the rock wall bed where it could tumble down among other purples and blues: Salvia farinacea and Lantana Montevidensis.

Strobilanthes has a peculiar bloom that shows up in the winter in the greenhouse, rarely in late fall in the garden. Where the blue cone-shaped blooms shedded small leaves grow. Most gardeners snip off those bloom stems. I left these.


Strobilanthes found a spot underneath a white crape myrtle -- notice the white petals that fell -- where there was already Purple Heart and Pandora's Box, a cream daylily with a purple eye.


I really like these purples together.

There's another purple growing in the greenhouse floor that does so happily year 'round even in the hottest days of summer and doesn't blink when it's pressed against the panes when outside temps are freezing. Alternanthera dentata 'Rubiginosa' which goes by names like Bloodleaf and Christmas Clover.


Last year 'Rubiginosa' was growing both inside and outside. Looking back over previous years' use of this plant, I see I should be rooting pieces of it like crazy. It is cold tender and generally does not return from roots. The white Lantana in the picture above did not return either, except for a single piece. I have cuttings rooting from the sturdier plant in the front garden.

 Strobilanthes, Setcreasea and Alternanthera 'Rubiginosa' are my favorite purple foliage plants for seasonal displays.

Do you use plants with purple foliage? Which are your favorites?

5 comments:

  1. I had a serendipitous grouping this spring that involved purple: Bradbury Beebalm (Monarda bradburiana), Husker Red Penstemon, and Dames rocket. Foliage and blooms all echoed each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love purple foliage! Purple heart is one that I enjoy very much but I also like smoke bush and Japanese maples. Of course those are more burgundy than actual purple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love purple foliage! Purple heart is one that I enjoy very much but I also like smoke bush and Japanese maples. Of course those are more burgundy than actual purple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like purple foliage plants. I have purple heart in a concrete planter out front. I often start a shield plant but not this year. I love the way they grow so tall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like purple foliage plants. I have purple heart in a concrete planter out front. I often start a shield plant but not this year. I love the way they grow so tall.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers