Thursday, June 19, 2014

Secrets in the Secret Garden

It isn't very visible from the outside. Inside was neglected when I was busy elsewhere. The Secret Garden is surrounded by an overgrown white Loropetalum, Gardenias, Philadelphus, white Crape Myrtle, Hibiscus syriacus and Fig Trees.


Towering over it all is a Juniperus Carolinia shedding constant needles over everything. Pots of Amaryllis face the western sun on the outside.



Inside the shrub cover is a bench where Epiphyllums spend the summer. Epis have increased in number because I root every branch that breaks. People tend not to want to be gifted with a small plant that takes 3 years to bloom nor a giant  blooming plant that is frost tender so there are half a dozen plants. I see signs of tiny buds.

Under the Juniper is a tiny patio of thirty 16" pavers I put down years ago to the west of the pumphouse. A thick blanket of needles and debris built up. I raked them away.

No project here is simple. If the patio table and chairs I was moving are to be scrubbed and returned to the screened porch, then another table and chairs must go there. The old patio table was on the newly cobbled patio on the other side of the tree. Green chairs were waiting in the tool shed.






















To get the table to the new location, I had to make staging for 35 pots of Schlumbergera and Rhipsalodopsis, another collection that grows weekly as little pieces get broken and I am compelled to salvage and root every bit.



Cracks between pavers and broken corners filled with glass lozenges and fine gravel.
 

Glass sparkles in filtered sunlight. This was not a necessary project but it was something I could do in shade.



Last evening I was trying to prepare the area behind the new patio to the right of the secret entrance from the greenhouse side to put an additional bench for summering potted plants. I heard a clink as I struck something hard. I've found more ancient metal. So far I dug a plow point and two pieces of chromed metal joined by a large bolt.

I went back today and tried to dig out something bigger that is jammed by roots. I dug away a Virginia Creeper root 3/4" in diameter. Tree roots are harder to get under and the interesting piece of metal with a bit of green paint and a large bolt hole remains fast.

I don't know why I am out in such hot weather digging up junk metal that will probably have to go with the Scrap Man later. A blog that I was reading today admonished not to think that every rusty pitchfork is a piece of garden art.


Eventually I'll get the table and chairs I'm moving scrubbed up, perhaps a little paint and moved to the front porch.

Then I can sit on the veranda under a ceiling fan, sip lemonade and gaze out on a different view where there are no ancient treasures needing digging.






8 comments:

  1. There are neat treasures hiding in your garden. Love the glass pebbles between the pavers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be true that not every rusty object is an art piece but I think that one is quite nice - it makes me think of a bud vase. I like the idea of using glass pieces to fill spaces between paving stones too. I came across a small quantity of glass marbles months ago and, for lack of a better idea, I tossed them in with the gravel, where they add a touch of shimmer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your secret garden with patio, chairs and table. The patio is really neat with the bits of colored glass in the cracks. Great idea!

    I think you have some neat unearthed treasures.

    Don't work out in the heat too long.

    Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it all of course. The blue glass pebbles look so lovely tucked in. I just got a table just like that one that I am going to refinish the top of. I love it just the way it is though so it is a hard choice to decide. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it all of course. The blue glass pebbles look so lovely tucked in. I just got a table just like that one that I am going to refinish the top of. I love it just the way it is though so it is a hard choice to decide. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the hidden area....but I really like the sound of enjoying lemonade while sitting on the veranda under the fan!

    Try to stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you used the glass. I also like the idea of a secret garden. It feels so private. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the glass in the cracks. You amaze me with the number of container plants. I haven't as much of luck (or resolve) for them.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers