Monday, June 2, 2014

The Colors of June, part I

With June, comes hot, hot colors of the summer.

Seedling bi-tone Daylily with Yellow Lantana and Ratibida.
In the distance, orange Daylilies and Kniphofia.

Reverse axis: Bengal Tiger Canna behind Ratibida and
Lantana with the Bi-tone Daylily. Even I marveled at the 
stone on the right. When foliage emerges, stones disappear.

Kniphofia and Vitex, summer delights.

Agapanthus not yet in bloom at left; dark red Daylilies are in bloom, Pentas returned from their roots. I loosened the soil and scattered pine cones before scattering Zinnia and Gomphrena seeds. Watering caused the cones to close. They open again when dry.

Someone's blog this week showed a beautiful planter with pine cones as mulch to deter squirrels. I scattered pine cones to discourage the cat digging, followed by more digging by the dog. It worked in the cabbage patch last fall.


Shrimp Plant, back from roots. White Shrimp also returned.

I am finding more tropicals as the weather warms. There is a new leaf on my Bird of Paradise Strelitzia species that I gave up on. Tecoma stans has yellow bells open! More Brugmansias are starting to make a Y at stem end, signifying that we should see buds soon. 

I should have planted more Gladioli. This is a species glad, here for decades. Red and Purple bloomed as well and I brought a couple into the house to enjoy. Some cultures consider them furneral flowers. I think they are among the most sophisticated of cut flowers, in a vase alone.


 

Yellow Daylilies and Black Eyed Susans, June sunshine.

Next post I plan to show the cool colors that make June pretty.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jean,
    It's fun seeing what you have blooming, several zones away from my SE Nebraska. I love Mexican hats, and am thankful they are also native here. Some of mine have buds on them.

    I looked up that plant you mentioned on my blog. If I would have seen that somewhere, I would think it was a wild petunia. At least, that's what the images of the blooms look like to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a lovely mix of warm colors. Your shrimp plant coming back from its roots looks better than either of mine, which were untouched by cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have that kniphofia, first time to read and see it. But the color of your gladiolus is awesome. Yes, here we associate it with visiting the cemetery because they are mostly available in November 1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking start to the summer. I have several of those in my sandy land garden, too !

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! I love seeing the start of your June blooms, so much color and beauty.

    I am inspired from my visit to your gardens once again.

    Have a great week Jean ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers