Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Alamo Vine on the Stick House

Native to the south Texas plains, considered a pest in parts of Florida, Alamo Vine is a novelty in my garden growing on the Stick House.


I wrote about Alamo Vine last year.

I'm not sure if Merrimia dissecta is perennial here or just reseeds in the same spot. I've not seen seedlings anywhere else.

Last year's seed pods persist, sometimes called Woodroses. If you look closely at the arc-shaped stick at center right, you can make out the dark brown pods. Okay, use your imagination; I was on the ground. The flowers are all upfacing so you don't see the red-purple centers. Unlike morning glories which open early morning, these open mid-day and stay open all afternoon. My kind of flower, we are out there in the heat of the day except that I escape to the cool indoors.

Leaves are dissected, another difference to regular morning glories. In this pic, there is a bud toward the top and at lower right, a pod where petals shedded.


Here you can see last year's pods (woodroses) at upper right center and none of the blooms which face toward the field. Coming across from the left is Cecile Bruner rose, now out of bloom.

Notice the field: corn in the distance -- looks like a green line in front of the trees because of the angle -- in front of corn is peanuts, a darker green and then pale green meadow grass between us and the crops.





2 comments:

  1. The foliage of this vine is very attractive and those wood roses are way cool! Are they ever used in dried flower arrangements?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nell, I loved that last photo showing the crops in the distance (you can tell I am a farm gal!)

    The vine tested my eyesight a bit. I did finally see the dark seed pods and the buds on one shot.

    I am in a constant battle with morning glory here....always where I don't want them.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers