Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Reds and Deep Pinks and first Zinnia


Wordless just doesn't work for me. I'm revising yesterday's post.

Billy Welch said, "No Crinum ever died." Crinums are very long-lasting in the South. This one is just getting started and the one below is ready to open, a paler shade.



Shrimp Plant is one of my favorite tropicals because it survives mild winters and manages to come back from roots after harder freezes in a bad winter. Hummingbirds like it, too. 

One of my red Pentas just died. I pulled it up, there was no obvious reason for its death. Others in the same bed are fine except for one that something is chewing on. The dead one had no signs of pests. 

Laura Bush Petunia volunteers along a little dry-laid wall.

The first Zinnia finally bloomed. It was neither red nor pink, but a deep yellow-orange that goes well with the flowers around it.



8 comments:

  1. Is there any other kind of pun? Beautiful bright pinks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of Crinum, Would they grow in Virginia, being considered the South? It was the Confederacy after all.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray, can you leave cannas in the ground? Crinums are generally hardy only to zone 8. Some are tougher than others, experts say. They're expensive to experiment with, see jenksfarmer.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too funny! Keep it up ! I love your attitude, my fellow sandy land friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had annuals just croak on me, too, for no apparent reason. I love how colorful your garden is. I also have zinnias. They're one of my favorite flowers. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to find shrimp plant at local nurseries a couple months ago and was unsuccessful. I am trying to attract hummingbirds and butterflies. You would think this plant would not be hard to find. I will try again. Maybe now that summer is in full swing someone will carry it.

    Also, thanks for the heads up about aster yellows disease!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, Mama lived in zone 7b. She grew Shrimp Plant indoors. You might find it in the houseplant section.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! wish I could grow them in the ground here

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers