Friday, August 15, 2014

Butterflies and Blooms Day

They're finally here in numbers enough to make counting harder than one or two.

Tiger, Spicebush and Pipevine Swallowtails, Gulf Fritillaries, American Painted Ladies, Sulphurs and tiny Skippers and Duskywings are among our visitors.


They're nectaring on Tithonia, Lantana, Pentas, Pride of Barbados, Esperanza, Marigolds and Zinnias.

Most of the time there are enough Tithonia blooms 
for each butterfly to have his own blossom.

Zinnias are popular.


A Gulf Fritillary stands his ground on Caesalpinia.

Esperanza

Pentas are also in shades of pink and a bright red. 

White Pentas had the best posed visitors.


Lantana is popular at certain times of day.


Nectar Plants attract for feeding. Parsley, native Pipevine and Passiflora, wild Cherry, Paw Paw and grasses are among the Host plants for Larvae that I cultivate.



Zinnias and Lantana in near view, Tithonia and Duranta in background.

This is not the extent of blooms here in August, but most representative of the Butterfly nectar plants. Porterweed, late Agapanthus and Duranta are just coming into bloom.


Happy Bloom Day.  Linking to Bloom Day at May Dreams Gardens.

More and different Blooms without butterflies are on my Wordpress Seedscatterer site.

22 comments:

Deanne Fortnam said...

So many beautiful blooms and butterflies. Great post, TFS

Alison said...

What a wonderful double treat on Bloom Day -- flowers and the butterflies that nectar on them. I can never get good shots of the few butterflies that come here. Happy GBBD!

Kalantikan said...

Our butterflies are plenty in our garden too, as we are at the height of our rainy season, they have lots of food plants. However, with my once-in-a while visit home on some weekends, my priority is always my hoyas. And i hope you will understand my predicament when you see my blooms, haha!

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Simply gorgeous!
*hugs*deb

Janie Jurkiewicz said...

They do love the zinnia....the only I have seen that you have shot are the blue ones..The orange one are outstanding butterflies...we are getting a lot of visits from the hummingbirds now...have seen them all summer but not like this.

Dorothy Borders said...

I've been seeing more butterflies - and dragonflies - in my garden lately, too. They are all very welcome visitors.

Donna said...

Beautiful blooms and I am so happy to see someone has lots of butterflies visiting.

mygardenersays.com said...

Wow! You have a load of blooms-n-butterflies! Such beautiful photos!

Jim Coliton said...

The butterflies and flowers are spectacular. I hope some of those butterflies make it up the east coast to Maryland. About the only ones I've seen all summer are cabbage butterflies and tiger swallowtails. And not many of those.

Kris Peterson said...

You captured the butterflies going about their business beautifully, Jean. Happy GBBD!

Jen Vandervoort said...

You have the most wonderful collection of visiting butterflies I've seen in a long time.

Gorgeous colors.

Jen

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Wow the butterflies! I know how hard it is to get those photos. You did great.

danger garden said...

Oh your zinnias are just fabulous. I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

Ms. Wis./Each Little World said...

I'm impressed with your butterflies and that you captured them with the camera. Thanks for the verbena bonariensis tip.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Beautiful pictures! Never heard of most of the flowers or butterfly names but I enjoyed it all!

Swimray said...

Lots of fritillaries and skippers here, but still on the lookout for the swallowtails. I don't have as many zinnias as you though.
Ray

linda coombs said...

Beautiful garden ! The butterflies in my garden head straight for the Phlox ! I'll have to try a few other things next year .

Pauline said...

You have such a lot of beautiful flowers and also I love your beautiful butterflies. I too grow the laval food for our butterfly caterpillars, the best way to have lots of butterflies in the garden!

angie said...

so many beautiful blooms and butterflies!!! angie from germany

Ni de Aqui, Ni de Alla said...

Beautiful garden and you have a lot of butterflies! Your pictures encourage me, because this year I've been buying plants for butterflies including milkweed, parsley, buddleia and fennel. In the meat time those grow my lantanas are doing a great job at feeding the butterflies.

outlawgardener said...

Wow! your beautiful blooms get visited by a lot of gorgeous butterflies. In my garden, I only see swallowtails and there haven't been very many of them this year. I'll have to plant more butterfly attracting plants!

gardeninacity said...

I'm jealous of the array of butterflies you get. I never see pipevine or spicebush swallowtails or painted ladies. Once this year I saw a fritillary. We do get Monarchs, Red Admirals and occasionally black or tiger swallowtails. Beautiful flowers and butterflies

Google+ Followers