Monday, September 1, 2014

Snakes Are Crawling, Get Informed

If I'd let a fear of reptiles rule me, I would not have gone outside for the past 20 years. Instead, I bought an Audubon Society Guide, went through and marked all snakes that crawl here and developed a healthier fear.

This little fellow is only about 12" long which means he is newly hatched. Later on, he will be redder. A type of rat snake, we call them Corn Snakes.

He was under a damp chair cushion in a metal chair outside. When I uncovered him, he really didn't know how to escape because he couldn't find the upright part of the chair that he probably climbed.

Lane came and helped to the ground with a stick. He found a likely place to hide.

His journey up this pole cut gave me an opportunity to get 
great photos up close. 

Imagine what a climb up a 2' pole for a teeny snake.

 Like Goldilocks, he tried different hiding places: 'This place is too open.'

He disappeared into the depths of ancient wood. 


I thought I posted about the Cornsnake that cozied up next to an old soaker hose in a flower bed last fall. I guess not, since I haven't found it. 

Give me a non-venomous snake over a rat any day. 

5 comments:

  1. I'll take 47,000 rats to a snake any day. Strange phobia for a woman who lives in Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't love snakes but have a healthy respect for them. Rodents don't bother me. I'm glad this is a helpful snake. Much easier to deal with than a rattler or cottonmouth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's very handsome. I love snakes but I don't live where I need to worry about encountering poisonous ones in my garden. If I did I don't know if I could still garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good looking creature! I am thankful to have garter snakes living in or around our compost piles. I only see them a few times throughout the season. I sometimes get startled when I see them, but they are way more afraid of me, because, like yours once it was able to, they go off to hide from me as soon as they see me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the nice things about gardening in Maine -- at least up until now -- is that we have only non-venomous snakes here. Makes it easier to enjoy them without worrying. This state of affairs is likely to change with climate change, however, as some of those poisonous snakes from Massachusetts and New York move north. Yours is very handsome. -Jean

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers