Sunday, October 19, 2014

Bidens and Blue Curls

Spanish Needles


Bidens, the common weed Spanish Needles, is one of the most important pollinator nectar source plants in our area. It is a host plant for certain butterflies.
Spanish Needles is also a source of  an annoying seed that has a sharp end and little burrs on the other end that are also sharp. The starry seed clusters hold many of these needle-like seeds. Caught in dog fur, they are among the hardest seeds to remove. They also cling to clothing as you walk by. A source of seed for songbirds, they are best left to wild places.

Blue Curls

Blue Curls is best viewed early in the morning when the blooms are wide open. Its foliage looks pretty backlit by the sun but is thin and unremarkable.

Blue Curls, Trichostema dichotomum  is an annual wildflower with a long season of bloom. The wild area pictured is also where I frequently see Twinflower, Dyschoriste oblongifolia in early spring.



Blue Curls



5 comments:

  1. I love your blue curls. Spanish needles are loved by butterflies here, but are a pain in the you know what, for this gardener. DH did not like them at all because they spread everywhere by seeds sticking to your clothing, as you wrote about it. They are hard to pull up too as they dig in. We couldn't pull them all up and I read that they were a wildflower good for butterflies, so there are some still here. I pull up what I don't want and there are still plenty for the butterflies and I pick the seeds off my clothes. :-)

    Happy Autumn ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. They rank right up there with beggar lice for sticking to clothing. I threw away some socks because they were just embedded!

    I had a very large patch of a coreopsis-like yellow flower bloom below the west pond. I think they were tickseed (coreopsis lanceolata) but I can't remember for sure. They just bloom now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blue curls are a lovely wildflower. I have seen them here. I am not familiar with Spanish Needles, but those seeds sound like a real nuisance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always learn something when I visit your blog.
    What a blessing!

    Laura
    WSP

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look like porcupines gotcha, don't they? I am so glad god made blue wildflowers....I just don't think I can get enough blue in flowers.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers