Thursday, October 2, 2014

Fall Wild Flowers, part 3

Trying to present this year's natives differently than last year's when the plants are mostly the same presents a challenge.

3 or 4 years ago the meadow was full of these daisies;
they are starting to return. I don't know where they've been.



Two views of Elephantapus above. At left, drying 3-cornered seed pods. On the right, the large leaves that hug the ground. My view of a large patch of Elephantapus was too blurred to show. This is one of my favorite natives.

Smartweed where the pond overflows.
Ducks will feast on Polygonum seeds.

Beautyberry grove. It gets bigger every year.

Pink wisps of Eragrostis. Some time ago, I showed pictures of a pink flowering grass in the springtime and called it Eragrostis. It isn't. The winter grass is Agrostis. Grasses sure are confusing. In front of the Eragrostis are seeds of a coarse grass or sedge that I need to go back and look at more closely.   

Ever-spreading wild Lantana


No butterflies stood still for a photograph.

One little Skipper clung to a blossom, can you see him?

Around on the north side opposite Lantana grows Baccharis, 
about to open fluffy white flowers. Goldenrod is opening fast.



I go back and look at my own previous years' posts about wild flowers. Every year is different because of difference in rainfall, wind patterns that sweep seeds usually to the east and other factors like animals eating seeds and dispersing. 




3 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying seeing your goldenrod, since ours is mostly done. And the colors of the wild lantana are a treat. I know what you mean about each year being different; I don't remember the displays of New England asters being as vivid in the past as they are this year. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean, I like the elephantapus and its name. The lantanas may be my favorites in this post, though. I love the cultivars I grow as annuals here, also.

    I usually trim back the beautyberry shrubs I have, but didn't get that done this year. They are full of berries right now, and very pretty.

    Yes, plants are different from year to year, especially the natives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, every year IS different, isn't it?

    I love the meadow of smartweed - the pink almost flows like water itself!

    Is your Eragrostis purple lovegrass? It looks a lot like it. I've got that here in south central Kansas and I love it.

    Last, but hardly least, your goldenrod is gorgeous!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers