Monday, October 27, 2014

Put a Bag over Her Head

I took Janie Varley's advice and put a bag over ripening seed pods of Pride of Barbados.


I was in the nearby cabbage patch when I heard the exposive release of seeds inside the bag. I'm sure this was repeated several times. When I finally opened the bag I had more than two dozen seeds that would have otherwise been lost.

I've been stopping by to pull seeds of white Periwinkle.
You can tell they're ready when you can see black seeds 
through translucent pods just before they open and spill.


Lately I've felt that if I had a slightly larger bag I would pull it over my own head until this cold or whatever it is we have departs.

I creep out and make sure the cabbages and broccoli don't dry out and that they're not eaten alive by something. I've tried to keep up with greenhouse needs like keeping things watered, like my tomato plant.

Can you see little tomatoes to the left of the Amaryllis?

This morning I mustered enough energy to pull out yellowing pots of calla lilies so they can rest for a couple of months. Would that I could just rest for a couple of months; Thanksgiving and Christmas would be behind us and this cough might be gone.

Wait! There's too much work to be done to sleep so long. It's just as well that I never ordered bulbs; there are still baskets with Sweetness jonquillas dug in the summer and paperwhite narcissus from Farmer John to plant. Beds must be prepared for seeds that go in the ground in November: California Poppies, Larkspur, Catchfly, Corn Poppies, Opium Poppies.

When I creep out, I pull a weed here and there and sometimes note that I almost missed something really spectacular like scarlet Zinnias.

 
I'm grateful to only have to whine about a cold; our son's MIL is scheduled for a cardiac cath today following a heart attack last week. Keeping vigil for a good outcome.

2 comments:

  1. It really wipes me out to have a cough from a cold that won't go away. It's so tiring, even if it's not exactly life-threatening. Sorry you're suffering with one. When I'm sick I do the bare minimum of work too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your cold! Being sick makes even enjoyable garden tasks seem like work. I wouldn't mind fast forwarding to March. Although the busyness of Thanksgiving and Christmas might help take our minds off of the awful weather. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a good outcome for your son's MIL!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers