Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Coping with Winter

According to NOAA,
 Well below average temperatures will reach the Gulf Coast ... Tuesday and Wednesday.
I realize that readers in Canada and the Northeast and Midwest are not sympathetic to us when we complain about an expected low tonight of 23º and a high today of 'only' 46ºF but our blood is thin and we hardly expect to cope with cold for more than a day at a time.


Beverage Station: we used to just call this an electric teakettle and a coffee maker. Yesterday I announced that we were almost out of Cocoa Mix. He-Who-Mows laughed when I remembered that we have a whole canister of Cocoa powder, a gallon of milk and some sugar. I haven't forgotten how.

The low this morning was 31. When I looked outside, a half dozen Angel Trumpet blooms were still hanging. Tonight will finish them off.

I've only been outside to open the greenhouse doors when the temperature inside reached 87º despite a cold wind 'right from the North.' Heat builds in a hurry when the sun shines on an enclosed space. The cat was ecstatic to get get inside to loll on a warm bench.

Stone Gable Blog is having a giveaway:

related to Gingerbread
Spicy cardamom  •  Crystallized ginger  •  Golden amber  •  Fresh-ground cinnamon

and Frazier Fir
Crisp Siberian Fir needles  •  Heartening cedarwood  •  Relaxing sandalwood

-- both fragrances redolent of Christmases past.





9 comments:

  1. Hah! I can't remember the last time I made hot cocoa from scratch. Looks like you are getting frozen just as our temps are starting to finally go up. I am not going to call you a weather wimp. I spent 50+ years coping with frigid Massachusetts winters, and I still complain here in the PNW when it gets below freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are getting cold temps, and you are so right about our blood being thin. :-) Right now at 5:02 p.m. it is 59 and feels like it is 52. Last night at this same time it was 87!!!! This is November folks, not summer. I am thankful for this cool weather we are experiencing.

    Happy holidays dear Jean ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cold is relative. The temperatures you mention would feel like a deep arctic freeze to us in coastal southern California - we complain when the daytime temperatures dip into the low 60s. If your blood is thin, ours must be vapor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a wimp when it comes to cold.

    I found recipes for Italian Hot Chocolate that I am going to try -- they use a little cornstarch and the drink is somewhere between our thin cocoa and chocolate pudding.

    A thick hot drink would be like warming up with soup, would it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot cocoa sounds good on these cold days. We use Mexican chocolate which is so good.

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We finally got above freezing today. Let me clear a few more plants off the patio.
    I make my own hot cocoa mix for every day. Then, I buy the fancy flavor ones for treats. The recipe is on my blog if you want it. http://gardenonsherlockstreet.blogspot.com/2013/01/hot-cocoa-mix.html

    It makes a bunch.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally understand! If you're not used to the cold, it is truly unbearable. Even some of us in Canada (where winters are very hard) get fed up with it. I wouldn't hesitate to spend the coldest months of the year in a warm location!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 18 Wed. morning just south of Atlanta.Expect 70 by Sunday with T'storms. If you don't like Ga. weather, wait a day or 2 and it will change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That does seem very cold for you! We are having a brief warmup and rain is expected tomorrow, liquid not frozen!

    Poor DH loves hot cocoa and I rarely fix it. You have made me feel guilty and I will have some waiting for him when he finished chores.

    I think I even have a mix on hand. I will do the scratch version though.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers