Thursday, November 13, 2014

Finally, Fall Color

Orange we glad to see bright Autumn just as the freezes come this way?

Crape Myrtles in the Front Garden:


While we're in the front, some late Gulf Fritillaries and friends on one of the last Tithonia plants:
Most Tithonia is already pulled. Today I pulled the Periwinkles before a freeze  takes them within the week. I need to scatter seeds for spring blooms. I spent much of the day taking more cuttings. I even stuck boxwood cuttings in the Upper Garden, just to see. MIL used to take hardwood cuttings in November.


 Looking back to the front garden from the Upper Garden.

 A chartreuse Punica in its Fall Garb. I may move one of these to the front. The spring interest is pretty orange and white striped flowering pomegranate blooms. After blossoms it is pretty nondescript until this bit of fall color.
 Loropetalums in their winter dark leaves with some bright Crape Myrtles.

A look back at the Upper Garden.

Photos are from yesterday. Today is a grey day with a chance of rain. Winds from the North bring chill. If the wind changes we'll get moisture from the Gulf. Eventually there is an eventual freeze coming our way.



10 comments:

  1. WOW! The colors of your crepe myrtles is AMAZING! Mine don't turn that color down here in s.e. FL.

    Happy Autumn ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only this particular Crape Myrtle, called 'Lilacina' has this color. The pink and the red in the back yard just turned brownish and started dropping leaves. The white Crapes are not particularly colorful, either. I need to look back at last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got a chance to enjoy some fall color before the freeze hits, even if it's only for a short period. Those crape myrtles really earn their keep! We usually get very little in the way of such color changes but this year it has been especially poor - the leaves of my persimmons are skipping orange and going straight to dull brown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am making note about the variety of crape myrtle that get that gorgeous color. I have only a white and I haven't noticed it doing anything spectacular.

    What are the wire baskets covering? Inquiring minds want to know... or just nosy ones.

    We are very cold here now.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your crepe myrtles look so full. Do you prune them back?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not if I can help it do I prune back crape myrtles, Sallysmom. I try to plant them where they can grow without pruning. Once in a while I cut an errant limb and I trim the little sprouts that come out on the trunk below where I want limbs to start.

    Kris, wild persimmons lost their fruit and leaves here several weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a hard freeze in the Atlanta area and North. My Crepes are a beautiful golden yellow and I do not commit Crepe Murder on them.The Persimmons are still green leaves,my October Glory Oak is glorious .Just about 1/2 color,but The freeze last night will end that.
    Mother Nature is undependable.Never the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think we had a lot of fall color this year, at least not here in Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful foliage color. I love Tithonia but mine grow enormous, you must have a dwarf variety.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glenda, the wire baskets shaded my red cabbage plants when they were smaller. Didn't keep little worms from getting on them.

    The Tithonia is the tall kind. This one just kind of lay down along the bed edge after it came up late.

    Thank you all for the kind comments. Fall in the Deep South never works out as spectacularly as the colder states. Just as the sassafras decided to get colorful, Freeze!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers