Friday, December 26, 2014

Garden Hits and Misses 2014

Camellias are always a winter hit. Hard freezes take out open blossoms; tight buds wait for a warm spell to open again. Early freezes in late fall took out most Camellia sasanqua blooms, not a frequent occurrence and a big disappoinment.

Camellia japonica February, 2014

Daffodils are always a spring hit.

Loropetalum and Dogwood look good at the time of Azaleas, Loropetalum starts earlier and lasts longer than Azaleas. It makes wonderful understory trees.


I built a rough patio of urbanite, stones and ancient brick. It's a good place for summering potted plants.



I considered the Poppy Show a near-miss because there were not as many poppies as previous years, but what did grow were a Hit. California poppies thrive in our climate.

Hydrangeas and Cycads -- Hit.

Three favorite summer whites:
Oakleaf Hydrangea, Gardenias and White Crape Myrtle.

I planted a half dozen rooted Gardenia cuttings along the north side of the greenhouse. They have gained size and hopeful of blooms in 2015.

2014 was a good year for Lilies. Blackout.

I can too grow tulips in the South.

The Herb Wheel was a near Miss. Thyme died. Parsley failed to take off. 'Dwarf' Marigolds were huge. Despite disappointments I started another wheel on the other end of the cabbages. There is always learning in Misses. 

Brugmansia

From my perspective ALL tropicals were a Hit in the summer of 2014, from reseeding Tithonia in the butterfly garden to seedling Pride of Barbados that finally produced blossoms. I kept over fewer cuttings this winter but have bigger plans for seedlings and am hopeful of many plants returning from roots.


Things to eat are always a Hit!

Every year there are successes and failures. It is part of the growing process both for the garden and the gardener.

What were Hits in your garden this year?







7 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely that misses are an opportunity for learning. I should go back over my posts for the year like this and check out what worked and what didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of making a Pinterest board with all the things I saw at Christmas that would have been marvelous to do if I'd taken an early start. By next year I could be ready if I had a constant reminder of things like the horse head of greenery and the fountain filled with greenery and ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting look at the hits and misses in your garden.
    May 2015 be full of hits for us all!
    Have a wonderful week-end!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the whole, I'd say your garden delivered this year! I'm envious of your success with the tulips - I decided (for perhaps the 6th time) that the bulbs are a pointless investment here. My biggest floral hit seems to be my blue Eustoma. I'm pleased with my new front garden but it may be too early to give it a gold star. The misses are too many to count - 2 Leucadendron that died within a few weeks of planting (too much phosphorus in the soil maybe), overzealous pruning of some hedges that have yet to recover, and my ongoing war with the raccoons among other things.

    Best wishes for a wonderful 2015 Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post filled with the lovelies from your gardens.

    Gardening is always a learning experience.

    May 2015 be a great year for you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to all. I hope 2015 brings wonderful garden experiences for all of us.

    I would never have planted tulips again had I not been given these in a drawing at Longfield Gardens. They are treated as annuals here because it is rare to ever see one again. Daffodils and Hyacinths are a much more sensible buy for this climate. I bought no daffodils this year and only a handful of hyacinths.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden had more hits than American Bandstand! Here's to an equally delightful garden season for all of us in 2015.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers