Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Plant Whatever Brings You Joy in the New Year

Plant Whatever Brings You Joy blessed wisdom from the garden is a book by Kathryn Hall. She kindly sent me a copy when I entered a drawing on her blog, also called Plant Whatever Brings You Joy.

Plant Whatever Brings You Joy  is also a sound New Year's Resolution.


The Chapters in the book all have titles that make good garden resolutions:
Know which plants you grow well. 
Repot the Rootbound for growth and expansion. 
Never pull up and discard what you cannot identify. 
Trim unwieldy branches. 
Feed and water at optimum times
-- sensible advice that we sometimes need reminding.

Some of her advice is more esoteric:
Take comfort in the mystery. 
Allow ample space for the breadth of your vision. 

Every chapter is illustrated with metaphors, not of details on growing a soil-based garden but how to live a full life.


Thank you again, Kathryn, for this marvelous book that I dip into again and again for inspiration. It is a lovely tribute to your daughter and to your own life and those you met along the way.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book. "Never pull up and discard what you cannot identify" is excellent advice. I love that your post included a photo of Tithonia, it's one of the things I plan to plant this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice for the new year! Kathryn's book sounds wonderful! Hope we all have a great new year of gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Plant whatever brings you joy" sounds like a good philosophy for life, as well as a guide for gardening. Best wishes for a happy new year. I hope your 2015 garden includes lots of what you love most Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, plant whatever brings you joy. The book sounds delightful.

    Have a wonderful 2015 Jean ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Know which plants you grow well" I have wasted a good deal of time, labor and money trying to grow delphiniums and geraniums..........a few years ago I realized it wasn't going to happen. This is good advice for all of us.

    Sounds like a lovely book.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adhere to that same philosophy. There are no rules, shoulds or supposed to's. If it makes you happy, grow it. If it doesn't, don't. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adhere to "Plant whatever brings you joy." ... those tropical, non-native, gaudy, invasive, poisonous plants that other gardeners chide me for.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only this evening am I discovering this lovely tribute to my book Plant Whatever Brings You Joy: Blessed Wisdom from the Garden. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I wish you every success for a splendid New Year! Blessings! Kathryn xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers