Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Random End of Year Views


I thought we were done with Pink Grass until I saw raindrops caught in the aging inflorescenses in the early morning sun. 

I learned a new word that applies to grasses: cespitose. It means 'growing in a bunch' and applies to grasses that do not spread by stolons. That certainly applies to Gulf Muhly.

I looked closely at remaining seeds and am tempted to gather and plant. Sigh. Usually I just divide these clumps; culms grow quickly to form new clumps..

Cabbages are starting to head. 

Broccoli is heading as well -- those at the back. Tiny bunch onion sets were tucked in among the cole crops and are starting to grow. Cabbages and broccoli  were started from seed. I even gave away some plants.


Almost life size in the pic. I can hardly wait.

Broad-leaf evergreens define the upper garden in winter.
I stuck another and another boxwood cutting and continue to do so.
Camellias from seed have reached blooming size.


It's a good thing I have new, sharp pruners.
Azaleas in the far view are a ways from blooming.

Resurrection fern at left. 
Narcissus leaves are sprouting. I saw a bud.

I almost took down the bottle tree this year and hesitated. 
Red Cascade rose beneath it is a candidate for pruning.

There is no end of winter chores waiting. I started pruning box before rains came. It's a big job that never ends. A nicely pruned boxwood throws out new shoots before the month is out even in winter here. Mr. Varnadoe told me decades ago to cut them back severely in January for renewal. Catbrier and blackberry vines come up through the shrubs and are a booger to remove. 

Sometime between now and February I will look for Viola plants and make sure that are blooming a little bit before I buy, which was the mistake I made year before last -- bought handsome little plants that were stuck in among Violas that turned out to be big blue pansies. 

It's a beautiful day today, clouds came and went, sun is in and out. I am seeing blogs with snowfall more frequently. What is the weather like at your place? If it  is bad, start making plans; time flies.









11 comments:

  1. Those sunny winter days are so pleasant for puttering about in the garden. We're expected to get a touch of rain this evening. I hustled to get a few new plants and some creeping thyme planted so they could take advantage of it. A cold snap is predicted even here - the Rose Parade in Pasadena, some 20 miles away, may have freezing temperatures on New Year's Day for the first time in a long, long time. As we're close to the ocean, I hope it won't be as bad here - I'd hate to lose all the new plants in my front garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may need a little fleece to tuck over and around the tenderest, Kris. We have no freezes predicted for the immediate future but we're a long way from February.

      Delete
  2. Our weather has been pretty dismal, grey days and cold. This morning it is 16°. Winter is here.

    Growing vegetables of any kind outside right now amazes me. I will be getting broccoli out of the freezer to enjoy and you will be picking them fresh!

    I have my new garden seeds and will be starting a few things in March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not envious of anyone who has snow. It's grand on picture postcards but not to have to get out and do chores or even go to the store. I learned visiting in North Dakota that home is where you live, though and from there you can see the faults of other locations.

      Delete
  3. Great to read about and see what is going on in your gardens at this time of year. I worked outside in my main garden area yesterday, sweating.

    Have a wonderful 2015 ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elsewhere they are shoveling snow and you are outside in short sleeves, Rainey. There's a keen wind here today but the sun finally came out.

      Delete
  4. I wish I had as much energy as you. I am so envious. I just can't seem to get it going. BTW, love your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess energy is relative, Sally's Mom. I don't get done nearly as much as I'd like for stopping to rest and blog and let in the dog. Thank you for visiting and I hope you are encouraged.

      Delete
  5. That broccoli looks so tempting! No gardening here--the ground is frozen solid, though we still haven't had any snow to speak of. I envy you in a way being able to work in the garden at this time of year, though I admit I appreciate the winter break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer is when I stay mostly inside except for watering and browsing.

      Delete
  6. We have temperatures in the 20's right now but it's clear and sunny outside. I liked your end of the year tour!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers