Monday, December 8, 2014

Tomatoes in Winter

Mama used to refuse to buy hothouse tomatoes in winter. "They taste like money, " she said. She might approve of my tomatoes.

I rooted a sucker from the axil of one of the Better Boy tomatoes I planted in the outdoor garden for summer. Many gardeners prune suckers. I tend to let them grow because they provide leafy growth that shades the fruit, important in our climate.

So far the cost is enough potting soil to fill a 4 gallon nursery bucket and a few spoonfuls of fertilizer.

I forget why I brought this plant inside in late July.

End of July: 

Mid-August, taking up 3 feet by 3feet:

So I squeezed it into the southeast corner of the greenhouse:
It was five feet tall at the end of August.

In September I found and dispatched a hornworm:

By October the tomato plant reached the top of the wall:

I water about every other day, depending on temperatures. If the weather is cold and damp, I water less often.

November 6, 2014

December 6, 2014


I can hardly wait for ripe tomatoes.





10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...how wonderful to have a greenhouse and tomatoes in winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I hope they ripen soon, and taste great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some kind of wonderful! Looking forward to seeing your ripe tomato post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Putting up a kit greenhouse is not a big deal.

    Bringing tomatoes to ripeness in winter requires patience and attention but it justifies having a hobby greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Cow! You sure have a green thumb Jean.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh such beautiful tomatoes -it definetly would justify a greenhouse...let me go tell my husband about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat! Are those Christmas lights in your greenhouse?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are Christmas lights, yes. I started with a small string of white lights. Then I brought out two strings of vintage lights that had not seen the light of day in years, complete with some heavy foil reflectors.

    Maybe they add a bit of heat. I saw photos of a west coast greenhouse that had lights among the plants and I was wild for lights.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers