Saturday, January 17, 2015

Native Plants: Elephant's Foot

While there is so little to see here until Camellias fully bloom I have a notion to make a series of posts of native plants that grow here. Where cows used to run is now just meadow. Plants come and go: grasses, wildflowers and trees. I managed to identify a number of them in the past 20 years since I first discovered Elephantapus and enlisted a professor at University of Florida to identify it by a written description alone. Fortunately it was not a rare plant and he knew what I was talking about.

Elephant's Foot

Elephantapus is distinguished by a tricorn shaped bract that holds small pink flowers and by a large flat leaf near the ground. September is the main bloom time here.



Blooming at the same time as Elephantapus are Silk Grass, Goldenrod, Rabbit Tobacco, Eupatorium, Asters, Lespedeza and False Foxglove.


6 comments:

  1. What an intriguing triangular bract! Cool plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a new plant to me. Do you know what family it is in? -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aster Family. If you click on the first photo, then click again, it gets large enough that you can see the tiny pink sort-of-daisy-like flowers in the bracts. It is native to the southeastern US. I've never seen it anywhere except in wild meadows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive seen them too...glad you told me what those were

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one we do not have. I do love the look of the unmown native pastures. You cannot have that with a cow herd! I still haven't found any more rabbit tobacco. Maybe the cows have eaten that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also like the planter in the header!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers