Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Boxwood in Bloom

Boxwood has commenced bloom here. On warm sunny days like Monday bees are buzzing around the blooms. I actually saw honeybees. I wonder how box honey tastes?

Remember when I hacked at all these boxwood in 2013 and then did away with them once wisteria bloom was over and everything started to grow? 
It had potential. I ran out of steam.

Alison said she did not like the smell of Boxwood. Japanese box like grows best here does not have the cat pee aroma of English Boxwood. When they bloom the blossoms smell like grape Kool aid.

I spent enough time this morning to gather a tarp full of box cuttings before rain started. New growth has already commenced so I am behind. Some new growth was nipped by the last freeze. All that growth is coming off anyhow.

Here's boxwood from 2011 and here's what I said about it:

Japanese boxwood, Buxus microphylla is hardy to USDA Zone 5. It has been grown in the United States since about 1890 and is the most adaptable of all boxwood. Leaves are glossy, 1/2 inch wide by 1 inch long, have medium green color when grown in shade. It is an open, quick-growing shrub which can reach 8 ft tall. Plant width is often difficult to determine because of naturally occurring layering. Japanese boxwood is heat tolerant. Pruning can be done to shape plants and increase density any time of the year except six weeks before the average date of the first frost in the fall.

This notion about pruning anytime does not apply here. Once wasps start nesting, I best be indoors out of the heat and away from the possibility of being stung.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I could get into boxwood that smells like grape Kool-Aid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course i am not familiar of what boxwood is, but when you described it as cat pee it becomes very familiar. I don't like that is already my conclusion, haha. But Jean, that wisteria is a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They grow well here in my zone 6 garden. I rarely prune them......I didn't realize they had fragrance until one day I smelled a pleasant fragrance and discovered it was the boxwood. The bloom is so insignificant that I hadn't paid attention. Maybe they are why the wasps always build nest on the overhang above them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know there was a boxwood with sweet flowers!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers