Monday, February 16, 2015

Iberis sempervirens, a Hardy Perennial

One blooming plant that I failed to include on Bloom Day is Iberis sempervirens. More than 40 years ago I rooted small cuttings of Candytuft from the garden of a neighbor, Martha Morrison. They grew in my yard in Metro Atlanta and I moved them south. These same plants have lived in 3 locations in my present garden. Right now they border a white bed on the south side of the greenhouse and are blooming heartily, mid-February.

Iberis sempervirens Candytuft

Hardy to zone 5, I don't know why we don't see more of these hardy perennials. Martha had a row of them across the front of her house in front of low-growing box hollies.

4 comments:

  1. Candytuft is such a delightful perennial, I love it too. It's not flowering here yet, but I bet it will start any day now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blooms fairly early here, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely thing! We have it here but not blooming yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have plenty of Candytuft in my rock garden. I love its cascading drifts, which bloom in my Zone 5a garden in May!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers