Tuesday, February 17, 2015

It Might as Well Be Spring

We are looking at a hard freeze to come on Wednesday and Thursday nights, barring some respite if the wind should change.

Meanwhile, Hyacinths and Daffodils are on their own schedule. The outdoor Hyacinths are ahead of the forced bulbs in the greenhouse. Daffodils are blooming in faster sequence than usual.

Here are today's beauties, Hyacinths first:

I tend to forget which pinks are which: China Pink, Pink Pearl and Fondant are all varieties I've planted in previous years.

The blues are slow to emerge this year.

This little staggered bunch above were forced year before 
last and planted out following bloom.

On to the daffodils:
\
Sweet little jonquillas

This is my hands down favorite double. Tahiti.
It has a good form, does not flop like some and the
fragrance is incredibly spicy. 

You cannot have too many Sweetness jonquillas.

If all that yellow is too much for you, there are other colors in daffodils. I didn't even make pics of Ice Follies, if you are also not a fan of orange. Pink Charm has not yet broken through the ground.


Tete a Tete with some February Gold in the distance.

The exciting thing about daffodils is that there are cultivars 
that have not even sent up a leaf yet. Long season.

Daffodils can take some amount of freezes. Too much heat will cause blasting. I saw two buds that blasted in last week's warm spell.

What is the story on Daffodils at your place? I know that many places they're under snow. Only 35 days to Spring, they'll be along.

4 comments:

  1. Daffodils always make me feel happy! You have a lovely variety of them and of the hyacinths too.

    Hope this freeze doesn't do too much damage.

    Have a great day ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no better place for daffs than growing in the grass or among fallen leaves as you have them. Reminds me of England. You have a lovely selection. Are those just regular hyacinths or some special kind suitable for the south? Do they come back every year? I have never had success with returning bulbs. Tahiti is a winner for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use regular Hyacinths, Rose, but some seem to perform better than others. One of the best I know is 'Top Hit' a later bloomer that I used to buy from Brent and Becky's bulbs. The pinks seem to survive better than then the blues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing your daffodils makes me happy too. You have a beautiful collection. I finally spotted one bloom hidden alongside some Mexican feather grass but it's a pale variety with none of the flash of yours.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers