Friday, February 6, 2015

Snake's Head Iris

Hermodactylus tuberosus deserves a better common name than Snake's Head Iris but Widow Iris is not much prettier. 

I planted these years ago.

 I am always surprised when they bloom. Hardly noticeable among other foliage, the slender leaves and stems hold a pretty bloom whose colors fade into the background.

 I thought planting them in front of a light colored stone might work. You can barely see the one at the top but at lower right looking into the center,  you hardly notice that one.

I resorted to a sheet of white paper.





There are a total of four blossoms that I saw. More may have been lurking among the vinca. Hermodactylus is a novelty. I imagine they would be good cut flowers with the right companions.

 They don't really look like a snake's head, do they?

3 comments:

  1. What lovely little things! I can see how they would go unnoticed though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dark falls on this Iris, but you're right, it's easy to overlook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are like my dwarf buff colored iris.....I still haven't found a satisfactory place for them. Do you have a white sided building? That might make the stand out.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers