Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Path Progress

Perseverance is hard when everything is blooming and there's so much to see and do besides grub around on the ground with pieces of brick and stone and bits.

 Dirt got left on the step and the edges are still rough. The middle is rough too but there's something to fill every spot except for the tiny stones to fill the cracks which come later.

I mostly tried to make sure that there is a firm path to step up to the door with nothing sticking up to trip us. The slant follows the slope of the drive so there's no worry about drainage, Glenda.


I went to an old house site down in the meadow to pick up bits of brick that winter rains exposed. See the leftovers spread out on the left, more than expected.

I saw a photo of Margaret Kerr this week, working on a patchwork design similar to a quilt pattern. She works out the geometrics, sends the pattern to a stone mason, then picks up the cut stone and supervises the work in progress. Sigh. She had scree boards to make sure everything was level. I just step across two pieces and notice if my foot feels secure.  

I turned all but two of the recycling stepping stones upside down for a smooth surface. The square one fit better right side up because it was made in an aluminum throw-away cake pan and the sides slope a little. The round piece broke in half. I used a half and another quarter piece, right sides up because of the little blue glass stones. The blue perforated piece is a metal scrap I found in He-Who-Sometimes Welds' scrap pile.

There's much more to do to this but it is now filled and somewhat safe to walk on if you look where you're going. The less adventurous can just walk up the handicapped entrance (driveway) and come in the big door.

Now I have to find a place for all the brick scraps and pieces of stone and mortar, which means making yet another path somewhere to use up those.

If you wonder why I went to all this trouble instead of just putting a row of 16" stepping stones from the door and a side path leading off to the greenhouse -- my object with every new project is to assure that He-Who-Mows has no corners to back into, no tiny spaces that require weed whacking, no hand cutting. He will be able to mow all the away around the Mule Barn, with a soft turn at each corner in the front. The opposite side has pine straw and a border of Liriope. He's very pleased about the pine straw keeping sand from splashing up on the building.

Oh, and I didn't need another flower bed to weed.

8 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful. I'm quite impressed. Will you please come over to my house and build me some brick paths? I really do love it. Please keep us posted on all your other brick work, and the final with this one. You mentioned tiny stones, but will there be mortar in the cracks, too. So curious to see the final. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be sand in the cracks and stones over the sand. I rarely use mortar because many projects here turn out to be temporary or to need renovation. Mortar seems so permanent.

      Delete
  2. Well done, Jean! I know what hard work that was. It turned out very nice. Are you going to fill the gaps with sand? Making sure that He-Who-Mows has no spaces that need weed-whacking is a laudable goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to not having another bed to weed and maintain! Speaking as a mower, I love having everything fixed so that I can mow over edges and have good access to all mowing areas. That is something I need to work on.

    I cannot turn DH loose with a trimmer!!! He does not recognize the difference between the good and the bad.....or so he says....................

    I like the mosaic landing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Landing! I knew there was a term that I was missing. It isn't really a path and patio didn't fit. Thanks, Glenda.

      Delete
  4. Love the path! Your reasons for doing it that way are brilliant as always and the result is delightful! I have to re do a little patch of path just outside the greenhouse door. We've been walking on loose bricks put there in a hurry last fall. Looking forward to emulating your example of a mixed material path!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. does this make you a pathologist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda gave the correct term, Landing, instead of path. So I guess I'm a landologist. There is a landscape design group in Texas called Landology. They do parks and such.

      My greenhouse landing is a piece of concrete poured for a propane tank pad that was too close to the other tank. The biggest piece made a fine solution to 2 problems. We call it 'Ike's Porch" since the cat likes to loll there.

      Delete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers