Monday, March 23, 2015

Spring Comes with some Reservations

I spent much of the morning hauling out Epiphyllums to their summer spot, huge awkward things with 4-foot stems. They're propped next to shrubbery that helps support them and gives them a little relief from late afternoon sun. Now more cool weather is predicted but so far they don't mention frost. Epis and Schlumbergeras are under a big juniper tree so they should be fine.

He-Who-Mows mowed the Upper Garden paths to clear the leaves, now chopped and in the beds as mulch. On the left you see what was a double stacked row of bricks that caught leaves through the winter. I've scavenged from this row for the installation of walkway in front of the Mule Barn.

Progress on the walkway is slow because pulling up and putting down bricks and pieces of concrete is not only time consuming it's hard work for someone who did so little during the winter.

A pattern is starting to form as I work toward a fairly smooth walking area. I made no pics of that today. One thing I did was to turn over the stepping stones that had mosaic bits and and seashells. They look better as plain rounds and squares of concrete since there is such a hodgepodge of materials.

Azaleas are opening more blooms daily.

I thought about a whole post about Loropetalum but I think I did that last year. Most of mine have reached tree size. I looked carefully in town today. A long row of Loropetalum between two small strip malls that were neat shrubs 20 years ago are now huge trees with seedlings that came up underneath them making them into a giant hedgerow. Some few of the seedlings have white flowers, which has been my experience here. Lately planted Loropetalums along the 4-lane road into town from the east are pruned into nice neat pillboxes.   


Wisteria is blooming with its fragrance and graceful draping qualities. Up the road it festoons trees in the woods and along the road. Its a beautiful thug. After bloom, this will get severe pruning as will the 7 foot boxwoods it drapes across.

This view was before He-Who mowed. Notice the pale spring green on Oak trees on the right. Dogwoods are like white clouds. Some of the old Dogwoods have dying branches. I've pruned. Small Dogwoods are coming up so there will be replacements. My MIL could never grow more than the 2 she finally got going as transplants. She didn't know about growing them from seed, which works for me. I suspect that she had seedlings but did not recognize them before the mower took them out.

MIL did not know about the power of stakes. I am forbidden to use rebar stakes now after the 'incident' last year, but the mower will respect a heavy wood stake.

Tulip Progress. They are still pale but
I saw tiny purple lines on the edges.



A favorite late Daffodil. I wish I knew its name. Fragrant.
My best guess is that it is Misty Glen.


5 comments:

  1. Glad you made reservations for spring early on as those people in the northeast didn't and they're having a heck of a time getting in! Spring is an especially lovely time in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love seeing your spring blooms and am never disappointed.

    Happy Spring gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are having another spring cold snap here too. Iffy at night for the flat of broccoli and cauliflower.

    I used a rebar stake once! Then she who mows ran over it....no damage thankfully. Now I use bamboo stakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could your daffodil be Erlicheer? It looks very similar to mine and has a delightful fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just remembered: this is not Misty Glen. It may be Albus Plenus Odoratus. I do have Erlicheer, which blooms early and has many more blossoms on one stem.

      Delete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers