Monday, April 6, 2015

Rubble Path and Accompanying Trinkets

When the landing for the Mule Barn was finished or at least all the pieces were in place, I was left with many broken bricks, mortar pieces and a few Urbanite chunks.

So I made a little path onto the Urbanite Patio through the Sassafras Grove.

Going in the other direction leads to the Pumphouse Patio. At right behind the Rhapsaodopsis are some old farm implement pieces that I couldn't dig out because juniper roots hold them so tightly, so I put a stone there to protect my ankles from the sharp edges.

Then John the Veggie Man asked if I needed more bricks. I always need more bricks but not this week.

Pieces of Brugmansia stalks are cut to fill the holes in the concrete blocks that hold boards for the Schlumbergera pots to make a Bug Hotel when I get time.

I am pruning Boxwood and it takes all my time. When I finish, I may go into the hedge pruning business. If the guy who mows and spreads pine straw gets $50 an hour, pruning is worth at least $90 per hour. 

We're not talking a few swipes with an electric clipper here; true pruning where one reaches down into a boxwood plant, cuts a long stem and the box fills in the gap or a space is left for sunlight to reach bare limbs.  

My good ratcheting loppers were broken last year. We ordered some industrial strength Fiskars with long handles, long as my arms. They are heavy, too heavy. I am getting tennis elbow. He-Who-Sends-Away ordered a pair of loppers with with 18" handles. I can hardly wait but I am soldiering on with heavy tools because hotter weather is on the way and wasps are already starting nests.



 A makeshift shield from a piece of rusty fence wire tries to protect emerging Calla Lilies from squirrels.

Remember when I planted Meyer Lemon seeds? I planted dry seeds and then read that you should really open the lemons, hold the seeds in your mouth and suck off the pulp, then immediately plant. Moist seeds came up first and this one has a true leaf. 

The dry seeds are sprouting too. Do you believe everything you read?

5 comments:

  1. Most anecdotal advice should be taken with a grain of salt. Also, things that are true in one area of the country may not always be true in another part. So much of gardening is personal experience. Yippee for having a Meyer lemon tree. I'm interested in seeing what you do with your bug hotel. You're always up to something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your latest path. Very quaint and makes me want to walk to the little patio and have a seat to enjoy all the beauty that surrounds you there.

    Hurray for your sprouted Meyer Lemon. Friends gave me a little ML tree, and a small Key Lime. The ML has flowers and little baby lemons growing. :-)

    As always, I am inspired when visiting here. I'm chomping at the bit as to things I can work on. This lingering cold has put a crimp in my style. :-)

    Have a great week dear Jean. ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my yes, everything one reads is the absolute truth or it wouldn't be written down;) You are one busy lady! Your rubble path is fun and funky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always fulfilling to be able to make use of leftovers. I see your Easter cactus on the side of the path. A red one. Congratulations on your lemon plant. I hope it bears fruit for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished pruning my boxwood! You are hired for the next time, Jean!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers