Sunday, May 17, 2015

Butterflies are Back!

They've been showing up, a few at a time. There are enough now to say that I saw dozens today: half a dozen Pipevine Swallowtails in one place on gold Lantana.

Saturday they were swarming daylilies:




I am always amused to see Pipevine Swallowtails 'dive' into daylilies.

Today I told myself that I need not stand outside in 91º heat and sun to take pictures of the same kinds of insects I snapped every previous year and posted here. To amuse myself, I went back to May of every year's archives and sure enough, they are there.

Here's a link to a good sample of what we see in May: Butterflies of May.

Today I saw Pipevine Swallowtails, a Tiger, many tiny duskywing skippers, a Fritillary and Buckeyes. Last week I saw a Cabbage White, Red Spotted Purple, the inevitable Sulfurs and some Gulf Fritillaries.

Now that I found my tripod and all its parts, I might try again for videos on a cooler day where only the butterflies flit about and the hands of the blogger might be still.




6 comments:

  1. That shot of it diving into the beautiful red day lily (I may have on that looks very like that) is really very good!
    We still aren't seeing many so far. I do hope this year is better than the last two years have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, butterfly videos would be great! We don't have many butterflies here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice when the butterflies return. We've got swallowtail, monarch and zebra long wings feeding on dill, parsley and passion vine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen a few butterflies flitting through my garden, but there really isn't anything for them to nectar on yet here. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Butterflies are showing up in our garden although we only see one or two in a day. They must like your heat and your beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to see some butterflies nose-diving into my daylilies! Maybe their absence means I don't have enough daylilies. That's as good an excuse as any to get more...

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers