Saturday, May 30, 2015

Vitex agnus-castus

Vitex is not a native but has been cultivated in the southern US since the 17th century. It fell out of favor some years back and was re-discovered about 15  years ago when Vitex was named to the list of Texas SuperStars.

This was the view I saw yesterday when I walked toward the front. A second look noted the dead rose limb I'd cut and failed to drag out of Carefree Delight, a companion of Vitex agnus-castus in our garden. I took the offensive thing away.

Closer look at the blossoms.

Lush, just lush. A new flush of roses is just starting.




For the past month, a favorite of beneficials was Ratibida, here with Larkspur. 
Insects have abandoned nearby Mexican Hats which are getting seedy, for Vitex.
I'll cut back Ratibida and encourage Tithonia which is coming on.




There's a constant hum.

There are some areas near the coast where Vitex is discouraged because of weediness. Do not confuse V. agnus-castus with Vitex rotundifolia, Beach Vitex. 



















This is the view north standing in front of the Vitex tree.

Vitex shrubs in the Upper Garden are not yet in bloom. Bloom may be scant because of increasing shade. Next year I will cut them back and see if they improve or need to be removed, too big to move. I could start new, easily rooted.

This daylily, whose name is Persian something or Something
Princess, but not Persian Princess, is next the Kniphofia.



9 comments:

  1. I have a 3 year old Vitex that has never grown much taller than about 3 feet (if that). We moved it this spring and cut it back to see if it would decide to grow. Blooming beautifully but not any taller. I guess I have a dwarf - if there is any such thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this will be the year it 'takes off' -- there probably is a dwarf or maybe yours was on a rock or something.

      Delete

    2. Saya ingin berbagi cerita kepada anda bahwa saya ini IBU PUSPITA seorang TKI dari malaysia dan secara tidak sengaja saya buka internet dan saya melihat komentar ibu hayati yg dari honkong tentan MBAH KABOIREN yg telah membantu dia menjadi sukses dan akhirnya juga saya mencoba menghubungi beliau dan alhamdulillah beliau mau membantu saya untuk memberikan nomor toto 6D dan alhamdulillah itu betul-betul terbukti tembus,kini saya sangat berterimakasih banyak kepada MBAH KABOIRENG dan jika anda ingin seperti saya silahkan hubungi MBAH KABOIRENG di 085-260-482-111,saya juga tidak lupa mengucap syukur kepada ALLAH karna melalui MBAH KABOIRENG saya juga sudah bisa sesukses ini dan jangan mudah percaya kepada MBAH yg lain selain MBAH KABOIRENG karna saya juga pernah mengalami yg namanya dibohongin sama para normal yg lain,ini bukan rekayasa dari saya melainkan ini kisah nyata dari seorang TKI,jangan ada percaya klau ada yg memakai pesan ini klau bukan atas nama saya krna itu cuma bohan dan ini resmi saya yg menulis.Untuk yg punya rum erimakasih atas tumpangannya. KLIK _ GHOB _ 2D 3D _ 4D _ 6D _ DISINI












      Saya ingin berbagi cerita kepada anda bahwa saya ini IBU PUSPITA seorang TKI dari malaysia dan secara tidak sengaja saya buka internet dan saya melihat komentar ibu hayati yg dari honkong tentan MBAH KABOIREN yg telah membantu dia menjadi sukses dan akhirnya juga saya mencoba menghubungi beliau dan alhamdulillah beliau mau membantu saya untuk memberikan nomor toto 6D dan alhamdulillah itu betul-betul terbukti tembus,kini saya sangat berterimakasih banyak kepada MBAH KABOIRENG dan jika anda ingin seperti saya silahkan hubungi MBAH KABOIRENG di 085-260-482-111,saya juga tidak lupa mengucap syukur kepada ALLAH karna melalui MBAH KABOIRENG saya juga sudah bisa sesukses ini dan jangan mudah percaya kepada MBAH yg lain selain MBAH KABOIRENG karna saya juga pernah mengalami yg namanya dibohongin sama para normal yg lain,ini bukan rekayasa dari saya melainkan ini kisah nyata dari seorang TKI,janan ada percaya klau ada yg memakai pesan ini klau bukan atas nama saya krna itu cuma bohon dan ini resmi saya yg menulis.Untuk yg punya rum erimakasih atas tumpangannya. KLIK _ GHOB _ 2D 3D _ 4D _ 6D _ DISINI

      Delete
  2. The Vitex is glorious. I planted a small specimen last year and it's still tiny by comparison to yours but I hope it will look like that one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a plant we have in common. I found a variety 'Shoal Creek' that is hardy (just) in my zone, It suffers winter die-back but comes on and blooms beautifully. It is just now coming out and I need to get it pruned quickly.
    Mine is about 4x5 feet and a softer blue than yours I believe. I like the idea of a peachy pink daylily under it and I bet I have one I can move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have wanted a vitex tree for a while. I once got one free, but it was about two inches tall. I didn't know what I was doing at the time and planted it directly in the ground. I forgot exactly where I put it and haven't seen it since. Chances are it died or got pulled for a weed, but I still hold out hope that someday I will see a flash of purple blooms. I think I would have better luck buying one I can actually see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why Vitex is considered to be a superstar, Jean. New to me. P. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty with the purple Vitex and pink roses! You have blooming surprises around every corner in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of vitex before; it's very pretty! -Jean

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers