Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Hydrangeas and Cannas

Skimming through Google to see what's been said before about these old-fashioned flowers, they were popular more than a hundred years ago, when Mophead Hydrangeas were called 'Hortensias.'




I like the combination of spiky leaved orange daylilies with
Blue Hydrangeas.

This might be a good companion to Hydrangeas.
I think this may be 'Pineapple Crush' Daylily.

Many plants are shy to bloom this year. Those in less protected areas had many dead stems. I am still trimming and hopeful that new growth will sport blooms before summer is over. They usually do.

Hydragea serrata was injured by winter cold and there are 
few blooms. The foliage is spotty, too.

I hope these variegated Hydrangeas bloom this year.
Their blooms are also lacecap form. 


Oakleaf Hydrangeas have reached the pink stage here.
Some of my beds are overrun with suckers and I'll be digging and rescuing
Daylilies and true Lilies if I want to keep them and grubbing out Oakleafs.

Hydrangeas viewed through dark Canna leaves. Dramatic.

Bengal Tiger, or Pretoria if you prefer. I started 
anchoring large beds with clumps of Cannas for that 
tropical look. They grow fast and are easy care.

Photo from the end of last June, when the orange 
flowers show up.  -- Tithonia will bloom soon, too.

Big Blooms, Big Leaves: Happy in Summer Heat.

8 comments:

  1. I am only getting blooms on my lacecaps. I am wondering if it was the cold winter. I did not have many hydrangea blooms last year either. I love the cannas. I wish I had the sun for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. I found nothing in the comments from Ibu Puspita that pertained to anything on this blog. I cannot appreciate back links to other than garden-related posts here

      Delete
  2. Hooray for those lazy hazy crazy days of summer and big blooms and leaves! Love your blue hydrangea/orange daylily combination! Our hydrangeas won't be out for a while here. Your cannas are wonderful and so big already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and the corn is as high as an elephant's eye and ripe enough to eat. Unbelievable how much difference there is between your zone 8 and my zone 8.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for those lazy hazy crazy days of summer and big blooms and leaves! Love your blue hydrangea/orange daylily combination! Our hydrangeas won't be out for a while here. Your cannas are wonderful and so big already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those blue Hydrangeas! Getting a Hydrangea to bloom blue took some doing here as our soil tends to be alkaline. Sadly, I have no Hydrangeas in my current garden as I don't have the water needed to keep them happy now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been successful with the mopheads. I probably am not faithful enough with watering.

    I love cannas but having to dig them up and replant put me off. Do you have to do that in your garden?

    My Oakleaf is just now if full white bloom.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers