Sunday, July 26, 2015

More Broods of Butterflies

There's really no need to go out in hot sun and humidity to take pictures of butterflies just like the ones that were here last year and several years before that on the same nectar plants I always grow, except that I do it anyway.

Gulf Fritillaries sharing a Tithonia Bloom.
-- as if there are not plenty to go around.

Duranta has finally squeezed out a limb or two of blooms.
I took the pruners and whacked back some 7 foot stems
in hopes that forces bloom.

Excited to see a Giant Swallowtail, I tried for a good pic.

... and tried.

... and gave up.

Spicebush Swallowtails are trying some of every type bloom.


Esperanza and Pride of Barbados offer the perfect spot for
nectaring in front of ripening corn, rustling in the wind.


It seems that new broods hatch out about every 2 months here. First butterflies show up with Azaleas in March, another wave in May, June looks sparse and then the big broods come in July. September we get the final broods except for a few that show up must any warm day year 'round.

There are some native orange Asclepias blooming across the road. I thought they were gone forever but they're back after plenty of rain this year. We mostly just see Monarchs en route somewhere else, spring and fall.

What I haven't seen are Zebras. No Longwings, no Zebra Swallowtails recently. I accidentally broke my Asimina augustifolia but there are other narrowleaf Paw paws at the edge of woods nearby. The one I broke is putting out new growth. Zebra Swallowtails usually show up to nectar nearby on Lantana.

Zebra Longwings are scarce here but their host is the same as Gulf Fritillaries of which there are plenty. Maybe I stay inside too much where it's cool and am too content to watch butterflies fly by the kitchen window.

Here's a link to Butterflies and Blooms August 2014 -- last August, same kinds of butterflies, same flowers, different pics.

I've seen Painted Ladies, Buckeyes, Fritillaries, Dogface Sulphurs, Cabbage Whites, various kinds of Skippers in addition to those above. Oh, and Pipevine and Tiger Swallowtails.



















Spicebush and Pipevine Swallowtails.

Late note: I found a Butterfly meme HERE for Butterfly Bucket List.

6 comments:

  1. You sharing your butterfly pictures never gets old for me. We see so few here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did very well getting a photo of the giant Swallowtail. We've been light on butterflies this far this year and I'm not sure why that is. I did see a Gulf Frittilary yesterday and I recently got a photo of a skipper but, other than cabbage whites, that's been about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos! I am so glad you did brave the heat and humidity. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand the appeal of photographing butterflies. They are not so exotic looking here but I still can't resist when I see one. Ahhh, hot sun.. it feels more like November in England at the moment. July afternoon and I am huddled in woollies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures! Your variety of Swallowtails is wonderful. I continually saw some during the late spring, but they always fluttered away into my neighbor's back yard. I may chase butterflies, but I'm not going to chase them that far! The Spicebush is especially pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got some great shots of your winged friends but what a price to pay standing out in such heat! Esperanza and Pride of Barbados always catch my eye in your garden as well what a nice couple!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers