Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Morning After

Epiphyllums bloomed last night, a total of 6 blossoms. I put the story on my greenhouse blog, Dotty Plants.


This is a bloom from 2013. Anticipation is the thrill for me, so I didn't stay up to see the fully open blooms this time. They were open enough for me to get the full fragrance, with Brugmansias in a full new cycle of bloom nearby. Heady.























A real thrill for me this morning was the discovery of two seedlings from the 7 year old Castor Bean seeds I planted 20 days ago. I pressed newly fallen pine cones into the soil around them to discourage kitty and armadillos digging.

It looks as if the Brug cuttings and white Lantana cuttings that I took after wind blew down a Brug stalk are going to take.

It is time to start perennial seeds for planting out in late fall here. At some point I mean to start some Nasturtiums, which I usually forget until it is too late.

I never got around to all the annuals I meant to plant. The only zinnias to bloom so far are yellow: one the color of a school bus and one slightly paler.

When I checked butterfly activity I was rewarded: a Giant Swallowtail! Spectacular with all the gold markings and bigger than all the others, they are a treat to see.  See my Giant Swallowtail post from 2011 with videos and fairly good pics.

Today, Gulf Fritillaries, other swallowtails, pipevine and spicebush; dogface sulphurs and various pollinators swarm Tithonia along with the Giant. There's minor activity on Porterweeds, Pentas and Lantana but nothing to compare with the busy visitors to Tithonia.



A Red Spotted Purple greets me at the side door every morning. This butterfly does not nectar on flowers. He seeks things like a dirty towel the dog laid on. He looks for moisture, so I poured the cat's water on the carport floor and refilled the bowl with fresh water.




4 comments:

  1. I have a single Brug cutting that has taken this year. I'll probably be giving it away at a future plant swap. I didn't plant all the annuals I intended to this year either. The time just got away from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is hopping this July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous plants! We are still not having many butterflies. I was hoping the colorful zinnias would draw more but they haven't. I did finally catch a Giant Swallowtail last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Butterflies and beautiful fragrances; your garden sounds like paradise. (Hot as the other place though.)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers