Sunday, August 23, 2015

August Butterfly List

After years of chasing, standing in the sun and waiting, this year I vowed to stop trying to get photos of butterflies.

That was before A Gulf Fritillary tried to ring the doorbell.

Sometimes they just pose themselves when I'm out there to get pics of flowers, like this Skipper did.

Gulf Fritillaries find Tithonia irresistable

... As did this Giant Swallowtail


... and this Spicebush Swallowtail. We're also seeing Tiger Swallowtails and Pipevine Swallowtails.


Now matter how dry it gets and right now I'm not able to drag out hoses, there's a little nectar somewhere.

I found a dozen little Tersa Sphinx Moth caterpillars on one little Pentas plant in the greenhouse. One had gone into a brown colored instar and was hiding on the back of a sole remaining leaf. They devoured the whole plant while I was not looking. No Pentas outdoors are hosting larvae that I found.

Agalinis plants are plentiful in the meadows and will bloom next month. Buckeyes are out there but they'll be more plentiful in September, laying eggs on False Foxgloves and nectaring on the pink blossoms.

I'm excited to be reminded of the meme Butterfly Bucket List at The Transmutational Garden.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely images. The one on the doorbell is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos dear Jean.

    Have a good healing week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're healing well. I never tire of seeing your butterfly photos. We get so few here in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos, especially of the Gulf Fritillary ready to ring the doorbell. I have a decent variety of butterflies, although not as many swallowtail species as I'd like. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you really had some beauties in August, especially without trying! :) Seems the Gulf Fritillaries are really out and about everywhere. And thanks for reminding me of the name of the Tithonia, I've been scrabbling to remember what those in my garden are called! Thanks for joining in this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely butterflies! The Fritillaries and the Spicebush Swallowtails are among my favorites. I haven't had one ring my doorbell yet, however.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great selection of butterflies. I think the only one of these we have in the garden this summer is the black swallowtail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy to see pictures of them when you do post them! I have finally seen a few but have failed to catch any with the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Tersas!
    I'm having a lot of tersas coming inside the house... making the cats crazy...
    I have lots of button weed for the tersas to use... and not a bit of penta... too far north for penta to survive the winter.... but the button weed does fine....
    Too bad that you didn't post the cats... Caterpillars are cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find it impossible to stop taking photos of butterflies. Their presence is magical. Love the one ringing the doorbell! -Jean

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers