Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Foliage Followup, Sort of

More or less foliage with some blooms and butterflies thrown in with random thoughts.


A Bloom Day blog from central Florida showed the last of Caesalpinia blooms with Senna plants, both legumes. I pair Pride of Barbados, lower right with Tecoma stans, upper left. This year I stuck in a plant of Stachtarpheta or Porterweed to add more red-orange to the mix. Foliage of the 3 plants look complimentary to me. Making a note to add Senna alata to the mix next year.


This is of interest for the bloom more so than the foliage. Something, either the dog, or deer seeking to drink where water drips into a depression in a large stone at the top of this slope or some other critter broke the only Dog Banana/Narrowleaf Pawpaw/Asimina augustifolia to the ground earlier in the summer. Since then, it put out new growth and bloomed. I've never seen blooms in late summer before.

I was eager for this plant to survive because it attracts Zebra Swallowtails as a host.


 We are near the end of the season for Pipevine Swallowtails and Tithonia is nearly gone. Gulf Fritillaries are still plentiful as are Yellow Sulfur butterflies, attracted to Lantana which is still flourishing. I'll show them another time. 



It was a good summer for Porterweed, too.


I thought that Duranta would never bloom. It's blooming well now.


We saw lots of Salvia leucantha on blogs farther south on Bloom Day. So far I've seen only one open bloom spike here. I always look forward to those velvety bracts.

He-Who-Mows made trails through the meadows this week so I can go look for fall wildflowers. I know that Elephant's foot has already bloomed. Silk Grass is about to open and there was lots of Eupatorium open when I took the dog for a ride. Buckeye butterflies are out, looking for Agalinis which has not yet bloomed.



Almost forgot, Rabbit Tobacco is blooming. It's small in the meadows. A clump that volunteered at the corner of the greenhouse is four feet tall. I had to stake it. I love it for its resinous fragrance when the leaves dry. I'm going to try making little pillows stuffed with Rabbit Tobacco.

Do visit Pam Penick's fantastic blog to see REAL Foliage Followups of all kinds.

2 comments:

  1. While Pride of Barbados is grown most often for the showy flowers, the lacy foliage is really quite nice too, isn't it? My duranta is just now starting to bloom as well -- so slow to get going each year. But worth it. Thanks for joining in, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the yellow Pride of Barbados and need to collect seeds to grow more of this lovely tree.

    Your blooms sure draw in butterflies.

    Enjoy your week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers