Monday, September 14, 2015

Red Is a Sign of Impending Fall

Late summer bulbs send up blooms after good rains. Sumac, Sassafras and Virginia Creeper have red leaves showing up and falling to the ground.

Lycoris sends no warning -- buds just spike up. Spring foliage is long gone.

Magnolia seed pods open to reveal red seeds.


Geraniums/Pelargoniums are not a sign of fall, they're just pretty.
First time in years I've grown Geraniums.

The best fall reds show in with the purple haze of fall. Rhodophiala  and Setcreasea.

Red Spider Lilies and Persian Shield, together again.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what lovely reds! Have you tried growing magnolias from seed?

    Happy Autumn ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I collected some Magnolia seeds and intend to try, Flower Lady.

      Delete
  2. Every year when I see Lycoris I wonder anew why I didn't plant any of these bulbs. I should go on-line now and order some so this doesn't happen yet again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited , I've got Red spider lily on my bulb order this year !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I love those Red Lycoris! I only wish they were hardy in my zone 5b garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a beautiful garden!

    Thanks for sharing this post and giving me the idea to also participate!

    I just started a new blog last week about gardening and crafting. You are always welcome visit if you want.

    Greetings, Sofie
    http://sofies-succulent-beads.blogspot.be/2015/09/garden-bloggers-bloom-day-september-2015.html

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers