Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Forgotten Agriculture: Capon




Chickens and Birds in the Garden of a Mansion by Jakob Bogdany -- I bought this print more than 20 years ago.

We were watching a commercial for the anniversary celebration of a local Chicken Chain called Zaxbys. He-Who-Eats a lot of chicken noted that the chicken pieces they were serving on TV were much larger than what he got at the cafe. "Maybe it's capon," I said.

He had never heard of capon. I described how capons are managed and then went to look it up to see if I knew what I was talking about, something that people who know everything must do to keep believeable.

Capons - forgotten Industry -- more than you really want to know about this forgotten art.

My late brother Mack used to work for Gold Kist. He knew all about capons, which is where my information came from, filed carefully away in my mind for a decades-later discourse on how a Rooster is converted to Capon.

My guess was that they fried up turkey for the commercial 'Chicken' pieces.


4 comments:

  1. I knew what a capon was but the article you linked to was quite interesting in describing the process. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "He had never heard of capon. I described how capons are managed and then went to look it up to see if I knew what I was talking about, something that people who know everything must do to keep believeable."

    I, too, know everything and have to check now and then in case someone checks on me!.
    We laugh at food commercials for restaurants and fast food chains. Our burgers and sandwiches never look as tall or as fresh.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my sister and I were kids, we used to spend summers at a farm up in Canada, so I knew what a capon was too. That's a very handsome rooster in your print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On your recommendation last year, I bought this print,had it framed and hung in my Breakfast area.Everyone who sees it loves it.Thanks for the tip.
    Aunt B See on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers