Saturday, October 10, 2015

Utilitarian Project with Side Benefit

I think that I mentioned we took up my patchwork landing in front of the mule barn. In its place is now plain geometric concrete with a straight edge from corner to corner where the mower may fly around what was a corner, previously.


Leftover concrete mix turned into some odd pieces that will act as stepping stones or plinths or ornament or space fillers, and what I fancy are succulent planters. I didn't plan ahead so it was a matter of grabbing whatever was at hand before the concrete turned to stone, literally.

I did learn a trick or two for abstract pattern.

Pieces of broken flower pot became 'windows' in the sides.


If it didn't turn out well on top, I scratched the date on the 
other side as it dried. I like finding dated pieces in my paths.

Grass will quickly cover this space by mid spring and mowing will be fast and furious. That little step was just not what we needed and there was no way to keep the area neat except endless hand trimming. In this climate, grass and weed seeds find a way into every crack and crevice.

I had forgotten that my cement work project was going to be planters that look like baskets with real baskets as molds. I didn't have time to run inside and look at pins I saved on the subject of cement work. Fortunately there was a whole bag of concrete mix left over.




13 comments:

  1. Oh, they turned out nice! I love the one with the cup handles. Good thing you've got another bag of concrete mix, so next time you can take your time and check out your Pins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time I finally get everything lined up perfectly, I'll probably have forgotten why.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea to dress up the pots with colorful broken pottery. I am always planning to make more hypertufa pots but getting round to doing it is more difficult. Nice idea on the handles. Will they hold the weight of the pot or are they just for show/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up the pot by the handles just to see and they held. I think the prudent thing would be to pick it up from the bottom. Those handles were in a box of materials and I thought, "Oh, why not?"

      Delete
  3. Your on the spot improvisation worked out well. These look like excellent succulent pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will come in hand for all those little pieces that break off and get rooted for no good reason except to save them.

      Delete
  4. I love the two planters you made!!! Great job.

    Have a nice Sunday and a wonderful week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know the 'use up everything' mindset, Rainey. The extra concrete could have gone in the field road entrance to stop erosion but I needed a project.

      Delete
  5. Quick and creative thinking! The concrete baskets are very cute with their broken pottery accents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun use of the extra concrete! You think well on your feet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a wonderful project. Did you just use concrete? I once did some troughs with the tuffa mix. I should do some more. I need two large planters to place at the steps leading up to the screened porch.

    Yours are very special.

    I am like you and trying to eliminate more of the tedious string trimming. I want to do all trimming with the riding mower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just regular concrete mix, the kind with stones in it. I didn't have time to try to add something lightweight to make tuffa. They're heavy but not so heavy as to not be useful.

      You are right about the trimming. Mowed spaces should have edges that are free of extra work.

      Delete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers