Tuesday, November 3, 2015

After Rain: Lichens, Muhly Grass and Butterflies

There wasn't that much rain yesterday but it was a grey day and the wind blew hard, leaving the dog and me Stick Patrol today.


Picking up sticks is much more fun when the dead limbs are full of non-flowering plants. 

 I am always fascinated by the fruiting bodies on various lichens. We have abundant lichens, an indicator of clean air, they say.

I ran across and excellent guide to lichens yesterday and forgot to bookmark it.

Rain and damp days bring out other non-flowering plants. Two of my favs are Resurrection Fern and Hair Cap Moss. The metal Armadillo is the work of  Texan Bobby Varley.

Moss and Fern on a piece of vintage brick. Unintentional art.

Once Stick Patrol was done, we went to look at Muhly Grass backlit by sun.

Drops of dew glistened on the inflorescences of Pink Muhly.

Skippers were busy on Porterweed where new blooms were open.

I meant to catch this Gulf Frit on the flowers. He flitted away.

 It's the time of year when we get to see Monarchs as they migrate through. 

A Monarch and a Bee enjoyed company on Tithonia blossoms.




13 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos Jean. I love your metal armadillo too.

    Happy November ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the lichens, our oaks have a full assortment. Beautiful shots of the Monarch.














    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose the fact that lichens are an indicator of good air quality explains why I've never - ever - seen lichens here. They are beautiful as is the opportunistic fern growing on the moss-covered brick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot of the Monarch and the bee. That sounds like it could be the title to a children's book. I love sorting through the sticks that fall here for pretty lichens too. I wish pink Muhly would grow well here, but it's one of the few that doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The muhlenbergia still looks great after all this time.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw large lichen covered sticks for sale at a florist shop last night and thought of you. When I checked the price, it made me glad that I'd been gathering them for nothing after windstorms. Your pink Muhly is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting about the lichens. I was told the same about yard fungi; a sign of nutritious soil. I hope he was right.

    Wow! you have more sticks down than I usually have, and larger too. We have lost so many trees, my stick patrol has lessened greatly. Now we are getting downed trees on fence lines out on the farm....not a good thing.

    Beautiful pictures of the Monarchs. The wet weather has brought you some lovely works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful muhly grass!
    I just planted 5 small clumps and can't wait for them to fill out.
    We are still hanging on to some late garden blooms and foliage in central NJ.
    I am not ready for the cold..lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the color of lichen. I'd call it pale turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that muhly grass, and the lichen is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm happy to see that there are still monarchs migrating through your part of the country. I haven't seen any here in several years. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great macro photos!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers