Monday, December 28, 2015

After Christmas: Coneheads and other Unseasonal Blooms

The unseasonally warm Christmas we had persists. We are under a tornado watch until 7 pm. Things look scary over in Alabama on the NOAA weather radar.

Strobilanthes, usually grown for the pretty foliage has short-day blooms,
usually seen here only under glass because frost usually takes out the plants
before buds start to open.

These are partly sheltered by tall pines and escaped recent frostbite.

Persian Shield makes a good houseplant. It's fairly easy to root.
I usually have several in the greenhouse. This year I only tucked
one in the back of the pot that holds the Bromeliad tree.

Persian Shield competing with a thug, wild fern. I thought the fern died.

A last look at the little coneheads.

A ten mile-an-hour wind is blowing from the south. The sun keeps trying to peek out. The temperature is 77º indoors and out. Hardly what we expect in late December.

Sulfur Butterflies are out, nectaring on late blooming Pentas.

Julia Child rose with white Pentas

There's an abundance of tropical Shrimp Plants. I'm usually just reading about
them this time of year. Justicia betonica declined to bloom again.

I was not surprised when white Azaleas bloomed before Christmas, they 
are sensitive to just a little bit of warm air. I am surprised that pink
Azaleas have followed suit. 

Pink Ruffles Azaleas are fooled into thinking this is late February's warm spell.

When my PNW friends finally forget and leave the door open, we'll really be whining when the wind comes whistling down the plain. We're getting used to warm, now.  


10 comments:

  1. It's so odd when I read how warm it is in the east, while we remain unseasonably cool (or, in my book, cold) in southern California (and still without the rain El Nino promised us). I hope the tornados leave you unscathed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bring Strobilanthes cuttings indoors as winter approaches, and they bloom on my window sill around February. Don't know if they are responding to day length or temperature, or both.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right about the back door left open.Will be cooling down this week and a high in the 40's Saturday in the Atlanta area.I think we will pay for the warm weather in January or February.I have many plants blooming that thinks it's spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're having one of our coldest nights tonight. Tomorrow it will go back up into the low 40s, but I just got back in from turning the extra heater on in the greenhouse for overnight. I hope you don't get our cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, we finally cooled down. It is such a contrast to see your garden and look out the window at our winter landscape.

    Beautiful plants to see this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How strange the weather has been but how wonderful to have so many beautiful flowers around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice it would be to have such warm weather. We're pretty cold right now and I'll be careful about keeping the door closed but you never know about that Alison, she's liable to do so out of jealousy for your beautiful blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful blooms you have ! Azaleas too!

    We have had the same weird weather here in the UK, lots of things in bloom which are totally in the wrong season. I have agapanthus , ceanothus and roses blooming at the moment. Cold weather is forecast for next week which will hopefully sort things out !

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunning collection of plants. I just love the beauty of your garden.
    I've just started a tropical garden here in south-east Queensland and am attempting to blog about my trials and tribulations (and there are many).
    Thank you for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers