Sunday, December 13, 2015

Bloom Day Preview: Pentas, Camellias and Loropetalums

It seemed a good day for Bloom Day blossoms in case the fifteenth is not an auspicious day.

Pentas continue to bloom in shades of pink, red and white.

Miss Julie's Favorite

 ... and a Sulfur Butterfly.

Camellias are starting to bloom after we had a near freeze. Now the weather is so mild the blooms are drying up. With so many to show, I decided just to display the seedlings.

A good example of what hybrids do. There's never been a Camellia like this, here.
It isn't a perfect flower, but the color is wonderful.

This seedling resembles one that is starting to bloom that has mosaic virus which causes the leaves and flowers to be variegated. This one is virus free, likely a seed from the virused one but the virus was not passed on.


I digress. White Azaleas are blooming out of season during the mild weather.

I bought these as Delaware White. I think they were mislabeled.

Two more seedling Camellias. Years back when I gathered and planted seeds, I paid no attention to things like pollen donors and pod parents. I can only guess which these came from. 

It took nearly 20 years for plants to grow as tall as I am and produce a substantial number of  flowers. It was worth the wait. There is a process for naming and registering seedlings. MIL's sister grew a seedling that her daughter registered with the Camellia Society, "Annie Jones" Camellia.   

Loropetalum fringes

The more prolific blooms are in early spring. This is a secondary blush.

All my Loropetalums are seedlings from Miss Billie.

"The Loropetalums with green leaves will bloom white," she said.

A look back at the darker Loropetalums through the leaves and blooms of the white. The bare trees on each side are Crape Myrtles. 

A last look at pale pink Pentas with a Skipper on the right blossom. These grow around the ankles of Angel Trumpets that don't seem to know it is December. 

Brugmansias starting a new round of bloom.

What's left for Bloom Day? Several things in white like Gerbera Daisies --another of my seedling experiments-- and white Camellias, the most romantic of flowers except maybe Gardenias. 

I look forward to Bloom Day ten days before Christmas. My Amaryllis will not have buds in time, so I anxiously wait to see who successfully forced some in time while I wait for mine. My poinsettia from last year has some tentative bracts and tiny buds trying to form. 



10 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of beautiful flowers! I'm especially impressed with the photo of the dark pink Pentas at the top of the post. I've tried several times to get a photo of mine that isn't fuzzy and have failed on every occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that first camellia. Can you tell me how you got your seedlings?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I loved seeing all of your blooms.

    Happy Christmas holidays ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas,Jean. Several plants in my yard are blooming out of season.Poor things don't know what to do in all this changing weather.Just enjoy the blooms as they come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, all. Sallysmom, seedlings are easy from seeds. I just gathered them when the pods opened, stuck them in the ground and waited. And waited. Mrs. Green over in the country says they are as easy as zinnias. They do take longer, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has truly been a fantastic winter......and I have been seeing lady bugs and I was so excited...........there were so many in Nc......but I love this December

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's wonderful that you planted the hybrid camellia seeds as the blooms are beautiful surprises! Lots of blooms in your garden and your brugmansia blooming in December is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I had some items this warm December but forgot Bloom Day. I still have zinnias blooming. Your camellias are fantastic, even more so since you grew them.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder what I missed that I have not seen this blog before. I'm surprised to see these self sown Camellias, I really have to try that myself with my Camellias which give sometimes seedpods. I hope it does not take twenty years before seedlings give flowers for by then I'm almost 90. I will be your new follower.
    Regards, Janneke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes only a few short years to see the first blooms. Having a shrub of size covered with blooms takes longer.

      Delete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers