Thursday, December 10, 2015

Hyacinths for the Soul

They're finally planted, in pots of one, three, four; even two bonsai pots with 6 and 7. 


Mama always justified buying a little pot of Philodendron at the grocery store by saying we needed food for the soul. She would nurture that little pot into bigger pots until the vine climbed above the mantelpiece, across the wall, over the top of the curtain rod and traveled on down toward the floor along a ruffle of organdy.


 I let my Hyacinth bulbs stay in the fridge for an extra week for lack of enthusiasm. Bits of green commenced to peek out of the bulbs and roots formed. Part of the joy of hyacinths is waiting for buds to appear and a further wait for blooms.



After I ordered off for a carefully planned group of Hyacinths in a pink to purple range from Gypsy Queen to a pretty lavender, I bought an extra bag at the big box store of mixed. Last year's mix had no blue --the above pots are from 2012. Like Forrest's box of chocolates, you never know what will bloom from a mixed bag. 

Last  year's pots. I didn't make new pics. Every year looks much the same, except for the additions. One year I tucked in graptopetalum. Last year I carefully dug moss off a ditch bank. 





6 comments:

  1. How beautiful!
    You have inspired me.
    I wonder if they would like South Texas?

    Laura

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that comment 'food for the soul'. I wonder could I justify all my kitchen gadgets using that? The hyacinths will be gorgeous and I can almost smell them. I don't know why I don't do that. Do you think they would do well under my plant lights?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspired by you I am giving hyacinths a try doing the refrigerator thing. I have always planted straight in the yard. I am anxious to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous hyacinths! I visited your Camellia page, while I was here. Wow! What a great variety you have, and all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos and I love your writing style. Like you said of mine, I'll say yours feels like a conversation over a cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Envy seeing your lovely hyacinths that seem so easy to grow and just pop up like onions on the soil. Hyacinths are coming soon to our equatorial climate country. Only once a year that I can have hyacinth flowers. Wishing you Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2016!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers