Friday, February 26, 2016

Busywork While I Wait for Spring

This is the second of Touch Quilts --some people call them Fidget Quilts where I am using up a lifetime of collecting fabrics and trims for one project or another.

The theme of this quilt is Elephants because of the elephant print velour fleece that I found online, the only kiddie print I bought and only because of the texture.  I found a number of more grown-up fleece prints with themes like hunting dogs, birds, horses and cats. All are now in some stage of construction.

The other 'touch' fabrics are a red corduroy, yellow fleece, and a bit of blue silk.

Ribbon loops in satin and grosgrain, a row of loops that are stitched down cotton shirting, a couple of gray ribbon loops and a purple satin ear on the appliqued elephant are all for busy hands to explore.

The blue triangles on a yellow fleece square are Prairie Points, folded fabric with no raw edges and an opening to slip fingers into, exploring.

There are a couple of pockets: a regular striped pocket with red ribbon trim and a non-functioning upside pocket with lace in the bottom corner is just for exploration. Running one's hand into that yellow triangle smooths the velour underneath which feels wonderful to touch.

There's a square of the velour left to use as a backing. The front will be circus-themed. I'm still auditioning blocks that will not look too juvenile. Everybody loves the circus.

3 comments:

  1. Love your fabrics. My mother in law pieced quilts as well. She made quilts for both of my kids. They are a real treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very worthwhile busy work and very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers