Sunday, May 15, 2016

Bloom Day May 2016

Late Spring is different to Early Spring here, it approximates Summer.




Daylilies are blooming: clockwise from upper left, Inner View, Salmon Sheen, what we call 'Granny's Old Red,' the daylily that Granny called 'Lemon Lily' and a red seedling that may have Superlative or Kent's Favorite II as its parent, and Brocaded Gown.

Byzantine Emperor


Duskywing on Lantana 

I always believe the first part of May that butterflies are not coming back this year after the first wave of Swallowtails leave when Azaleas stop blooming. I took heart this morning when I barely missed getting pics of a Pipevine Swallowtail on yellow Lantana and a Buckeye on Purple Coneflower. I did capture this Duskywing on lavender Lantana montevidensis.

Hydrangeas are coming into bloom. First to open were Oakleaf Hydrangeas.
























Big Blue Mopheads are just starting.

While not in complete bloom yet, Variegated Hydrangea Mariesii Lacecap is showing color.


 'Little Gem' Magnolia had wide open blooms in the top where I couldn't reach. Here's a bud.
The fragrance is the best part. You can smell them when you can't see them.

Red Cascade is showy with hundreds of tiny roses.


Both Coreopsis and the red roses above back up to a field of corn again this year.


Gerbera Daisy seedling. I planted seeds from a white
daisy which yielded pink, pale orange and white.


Maybe by tomorrow we'll see the first open bloom on Brugmansia. 
They bifurcated this week and buds grew really fast.

Happy Bloom Day. Join all the Bloom Day enthusisasts at May Dreams Gardens.

16 comments:


  1. Beautiful!
    I love the Lilies!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hydrangeas, but never seen the Variegated Hydrangea Mariesii Lacecap. Its foliage looks beautiful, I want to see its flowers! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hydrangeas, but never seen the Variegated Hydrangea Mariesii Lacecap. Its foliage looks beautiful, I want to see its flowers! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a photo of the Mariesii here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VDbDW2F_x60/TAaRLwQtNAI/AAAAAAAARVo/9L6tbce6xlI/s1600/DSCN8958.JPG

      I'll post the open blossoms when they bloom out.

      Delete
  4. Lovely blooms. Your 'Red Cascade' made me nostalgic. I had one for many years but lost it a couple of years ago. Maybe I need to get another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very beautiful photos!!! Greetings! :))

    xxBasia
    http://kasztanowydomek.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, that sure looks like our summer. Very disconcerting to a northern gardener. But it makes me hot for the new daylilies I planted last year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am worried all my perennials will be through blooming by mid June or before. My daylilies have been in flower almost a month. Well, at least zinnias will bloom in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all of your lovely blooms Jean.

    Happy gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been looking for 'Red Cascade' out here and so far, no luck. Your flowers are beautiful - you are ahead of us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful oak leafs! And I had to enlarge that photo of the roses to get the full effect of all those blooms.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are ahead of us ! Although …my Chrysanthemum is blooming ! Crazy spring in the PNW

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a beautiful collection of daylily blooms already! Mine seem very slow to get started this year - the Agapanthus are beating them to the punch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy GBBD! Wow, daylilies already? Interesting and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful blooms. I have one early daylily in bloom but more to come. Your Brocade Gown looks very much like a seed I planted that is paler than the parent plant.

    We are cold and drizzly again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a treat to see all your daylily blooms and hydrangeas, two of my favorites! It will be another month or two before we see any of them here. I love your header photo! Even though I know you live much farther south than I, it reminds me of home. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers